8

I had to keep my head straight. I knew the difference between right and wrong, and he was definitely wrong.

We'd known each other for less than a day and he had already asked me out then went home with my friend. I know, I know; I've said it a million times. But I need to keep it fresh in my mind.

Especially when he watches closely while I'm doing my hair and even tells me I'm pretty. When he drags me out of our booth and starts dancing with me, holding me close and laughing with me. When he tells me he wants to go out with me.

Ugh.

Dick.

He's only doing all of this to fuck with me. I know that's true, I do. Despite this, it's actually Eden that hurt me the most.

I hate it in the movies when the girl gets cheated on by her boyfriend and gets mad at the other girl instead of him. Like, he fucked you over, not her. You're supposed to be able to trust him, what has she got to do with anything? Well, in this case, she has everything to do with it. What best friend would do that to you? Seriously.

There was also something...different about her. This morning, before I'd slapped her, she was...I don't know. Weird. Salty. She's usually always bright and cheery and not the kind of person that would do anything like this. Idolisation changes a girl, I guess. Or maybe it's a case of 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas'. Who knows.

We talked for a really long time. Four hours, if I'm being honest. What did we talk about? Everything. He wanted to know it all, every detail of my life. And I simply gave it to him. Of course I got the exact same back from him, what do you take me for?

We ordered more milkshakes and waters and floats until Ethan texted me asking me to meet him in the hotel bar. From what he'd told me last night, I knew he and Grayson never drank, but since they were 19 they could enter clubs and bars and such. Eden and I, on the other hand, went out of our way to get the best fake IDs you'd ever find so that we could really have fun while on our week-long vacation.

I told him I'd be there in ten and told Grayson I had to go. He, of course, offered to walk me back to the hotel and I agreed. Even though I told him we were just friends and he'd eventually said that he was okay with that, when he took my hand and laced our fingers together, I didn't let go.

~•~

'So, what's up?' I asked.

'Why does something need to be wrong for me to want to hang with my new friend?'

'Sorry.'

A pause.

'How's it going?'

I traced the ring from where my glass had been a few seconds ago. 'Well,' I said.

'Me, too.'

'Alright, seriously. Why am I here?' I looked up at him. He tapped the table.

'Like I said, I just wanted to ha—'

'Hang. Yeah, I got that. But why?'

He groaned. 'You remember when I told you I had a girl? Last night?'

'Sure,' I replied.

'She's sort of...'

'Sort of...?'

He mumbled something I couldn't hear.

'Sorry?'

He sighed. 'She's Grayson's ex.'

My mouth hung open. 'E., you didn't.'

'I did,' he said from between his fingers.

'No way!' I hit him from across the table. 'You little fucker!'

'I know,' he whined.

'He's going to kill you,' I whispered ominously.

'Yeah.'

'Like, properly mutilate y—'

'I know, I get it. Yes.'

I held up my hands. 'Just saying.'

I waited a moment before continuing. 'Do you love her?'

'I wouldn't be risking my relationship with Grayson if I didn't.'

I let out a breath. 'So you asked me here for advice?'

He nodded.

'Ethan, I want to help you. Really. But I barely know the guy.'

'Hold on,' he said, picking up his phone. 'Hello?'

I gulped my water. The ice was melting.

'Out. I'm walking. The strip, why does it matter? Okay...bye.'

He frowned at the screen. 'That was Grayson.'

'Is he okay?'

'Yeah, he just...nothing. It's fine.'

We talked for a while and I tried helping him out in reference to his lady troubles but Ethan seemed a bit off, so I asked 'Okay, seriously. What's up? You've been all strange since that call.'

'I don't know. I guess Gray was just acting a little weird.'

'How so?'

'He doesn't usually call me and, in the off chance he does, it's never to ask where I am.'

'So...?'

'So...I think he knows something.'

'About us being here together?'

'Yeah.'

'It's not a big deal. You and I are just friends and so are me and Grayson.' I put my forehead on my hand.

'You didn't look like friends this morning.' He smirked into his drink.

'Very funny. Did you know he was sleeping with me?'

'Oh yeah.' He laughed. 'Milo, I was up for an hour before you woke up. And I saw you guys looking awfully cosy when I came up after breakfast.'

He winked at me. The bastard winked at me.

'Well, thanks for letting me know, friend.'

'Anytime, bud.' He reached over the table and ruffled my hair.

'Get off, you goof,' I said, slapping his hands away and laughing.

Goof.

That's what I'd said to Grayson earlier.

You're such a goof.

The words echoed in my head a little, replaying the memory like a boomerang.