Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Guys, what are we doing here?" Lupe asked her friends anxiously as if they just entered a place where they weren't welcome.

"Are you not interested to see Aiken in a jersey?" Melody asked incredulously.

"No." She lied.

"Yeah, you are." Junette said teasingly. "What were you guys talking about during afternoon period? You sure were giggling a lot." Junette asked.

"How useless Trig was." Lupe said regarding her conversation with Aiken during Trigonometry class. "And I wasn't giggling a lot!" Lupe added indignantly.

"Ooh there he is!" Melody said, pointing to a boy seated on the bleachers beside a napping gray cat.

"I was hoping to see him in shorts." Junette sighed, looking deflated.

"I think you aren't the only one." Lupe said. The school's gym seemed crowded than usual.

To Lupe it seemed suspicious that all the girls in school suddenly acquired interest in basketball; she had a hunch that they weren't there to watch the tryouts. The gymnasium was full of giggling girls, most were pointing at Aiken and surreptitiously taking photos of him with their cellphones. To Lupe, it appeared that she could divide the girls into two groups. The ones who hadn't had the chance to see Aiken yet and the ones who'd come for seconds. She's embarrassed to think that she's included in the latter group.

"Come to see me play, girls?" Jacob said dribbling a basketball.

"In your dreams!" Junette replied.

Jacob kept dribbling around, purposefully blocking Junette's view of Aiken.

"Wag ka nga!" Junette said, trying to steal the ball from Jacob. "Move out of the way!"

Jacob played with Lupe's friend for a little bit before letting Junette get the ball from him. He seemed to be delighted in teasing Junette. Jacob Strong was a Filipino-American from Los Angeles. He was born in the US and moved to the Philippines with his family, enrolling in Lupe's school where they became classmates in eight grade. Jacob is tall with lean and well-toned body. To Lupe, Jacob appeared to be good at any sports he gets his hands on like volleyball, badminton, swimming and sepak takraw. Lupe, as well as most of the girls, find Jacob very handsome. It seemed to Lupe that Jacob's mixed race, his mother being Filipino and father American, could be the main reason for Jacob being considered hot. Fair skin and tall noses were the sought-after features of Filipinos. But to Lupe, it's more of Jacob's warm and inviting smile that she found appealing. He's not very good in speaking Filipino but he always tries and his broken Tagalog became part of his charm in Lupe's view. Lupe noticed that several girls were eyeing Jacob, even though most of the girls were obviously at the gym to get a glimpse of their new eye-candy, a good number were still crushing on Jacob, she thought.