To Become a Gijinka

Two days had passed. Two days of hunger and of thirst. Two days in this hell.

   He had not seen or heard from Kage in that time. But when he saw the scientists, they were smirking and talking quietly to themselves, and sometimes they glanced over at him.

   That would always send a chill down his spine.

   It was third day when Akuma stopped before him. She looked him over coldly.

   "Are you hungry?" she questioned, though the answer was quite clear.

   At the mention of food, Kazan turned his head to Akuma.

   "Looks like I got your attention," Akuma said.

   "What do you want?" Kazan asked. He had begun to stop trying to rebel, believing it to be a useless endeavor. He was losing hope.

   "Don't you realize why you're here?" Akuma questioned. She didn't wait for an answer before she continued, "You are here to become great. Your sister has already been through it."

   "What did you do to Kage?" Kazan growled. When the subject turned to his siblings, here he fought.

   "She has become a gijinka," Akuma said. "She will wake in two more days. And when she does, we'll figure out just what a gijinka can do." A smile played across her lips. "But for now, it's your turn."

   With one swift action, Akuma had opened the cage and grabbed Kazan by the wrist. Weak from hunger, Kazan could do nothing to stop her from dragging him out. She clamped a tied a rope around his neck and guided him away as if he were a dog on a leash.

   "I had hoped to start this some days ago," Akuma said as they walked. "But, it has taken a longer time preparing then we had thought. I suppose it doesn't really matter though. The result will be the same."

   Kazan looked to the ground. He didn't feel human anymore. He felt like an animal, scared and abused.

   Akuma led him to the basement. It was large and, in stark contrast to the upper floor, had absolutely no Pokemon. Not even a single hair, feather, or scale.

   Kazan was made to sit on a blue hospital bed. Oni came out of the shadows and stuck something into the inside of his elbow. He taped it in place and, within moments, Kazan was feeling drowsy.

   "Now we begin," Akuma said.

   And then Kazan fell asleep.

   Who knew how many days had passed by the time Kazan woke. The place was abandoned. He sat up. His head felt weird, but not because he was dizzy or light headed. It felt like there were two weights on it.

   "You're awake," Onara said, stepping into view. He looked Kazan over. "It seems it was a success. All four of you."

   "Kuro and Kurai?" Kazan questioned. It was the first time that he had heard anything about them.

   "Yes, they didn't come out quite right though," Onara said. "They're in the other room if you want to see them. Kage too. She's awake."

   It was the first time since he had come that these people had treated him humanely, even a little.

   "Yes," Kazan said before Onara could say any more. "Yes!"

   Onara gestured for Kazan to follow him. Kazan got off the bed and followed him excitedly.

   The room they stepped into was small. And bare. Kazan's eyes quickly picked out Kage.

   He stopped where he was. What on Earth had happened to his sister? She had the ears and tail of a Mightyena.

   Kazan, who could no longer bear to see this, turned his head and his eyes picked out the only object in the room: a mirror. His mouth went cold as he reached up. His fingers came in contact with two curving horns. He closed his eyes. This was a dream. This was all a dream.

   Kuro and Kurai. He had already seen Kage, but worrying about the twins, he ran into the room.

   "Kazan!" Kage shouted.

   Kazan went to Kage who was holding Kuro and Kurai. Kuro now had the ears and tail of a Houndour, and Kurai had the ears and tail of a Poochyena.

   "Oh my god," Kazan said when he saw them. "Why?"

   "Kazan," Kage said, staring at his horns. "You two?"

   Kazan, with tears in his eyes, looked over to Onara.

   "Eat," Onara said, holding trays of stale bread and moldy cheese.

   It was need rather than hunger that got Kazan to eat.