vi

CHAPTER SIX

「week four : friday」

it was finally the last week in adoption month. i had been awaiting this day since this month started.

no word back from the man that came to share about that one lovely couple.

i wished that this month i could leave. next month was my birthday and i didn't want to spend another birthday in an orphanage.

it was seven o'clock once again. time for dinner, tonight was spaghetti. so i did the same as always, get my food, sit at a table, and put in my headphones blocking out any outside noises.

after i was done eating, i went to my room and flopped down onto the bed.

i almost missed an announcement, but luckily i didn't.

"ashley briken, please come to the main office."

why was my name coming up on the announcements? did i do something wrong?

i made my way to the main office. i was nervous, not know what i should expect.

"ashley!" the front desk lady, nancy said.

we had became close since i had been here for so long.

"what's up nancy?" i said with a friendly smile.

"i have some great news are you ready?" she said, looking very excited to spill whatever she had to say.

i nodded. i didn't know what was "good news" to her, because i knew we had different versions of things that were good.

"you're-drumroll please," she dragged out please, "getting adopted!"

tears of joy started in my eyes. i quickly fought them back.

"you're lying," i said, not believing what she just said.

"why would i lie? go get packing," she said, "you leave in the morning,"

i don't think i had ever ran so fast in my life. i ran into my room and threw everything i wanted into a bag. then it set in, who was adopting me?