Chapter 2

He should confess to her I mean explain - but that would run the risk of losing her. He feels a swell in his gut, it was lust and an all-round glowy feeling that he thought was more than alcohol, it was guilt? He hadn't told her any reason as to why he went to one of her usual haunts. He drew a big breath and let it out into the warm night air. He was the cold snake in the grass he was the reason women didn't date or stopped dating soon after guys like him made an appearance in their lives. He was the enemy. But, as enemies go, he had good reason. His friend, Drew, was a dear friend of his since middle school. Drew had the best personality, made the best marjaritas and incedently was recently incarcerated for the death of his beautiful wife and young son. Cops had him pegged for killing them with an unregistered fire arm. Thing was, Jack knew how much he loved those two . He raised his fondness over his wife ever so broadly as to say he didn't mind her tuna casserole which Jack could attest was the worst thing he'd ever tasted. He loved his son to point of obsession at his little league stats. "He struck out Bob's son Eli last week" Drew told Jack all to excitedly soon after the game. It wasn't these facts that led Drew to believe he hadn't killed his family alone. It was his face when he told Jack why he had been incarcerated. It was the sobs, the confusion. "Why on earth would they look to me? I'm looking to them for answers and they're looking to me? It's all backwards." There is not much you can say besides, hold on everything will turn out fine in the end. But you didn't know that as a friend, you were going in blind as to what would happen. One thing Jack knew, he would do everything in his power to keep his friend out of prison for life, to clear his name, then help him pick up the remains of this awful tragedy.

But that wasn't to say he knew of the carnage he would leave in his wake. He knew she didn't like Dragons and damned if in this case he would be the second Dragon to curse her life. She was beautiful and wise and maybe even had something there with the Chinese Zodiac. But if circumstances were different, and he had just come across her at a football game or library he would go speak to her. That didn't make things any easier on him. Maybe he could swing this both ways. Have her help him get key information that would help his friends trial then also get close to her in the process. But if she ever found out that would be the end of them. End of them he thought, they haven't even gotten started. But the more he thought the more he was sure there would be interludes of passion of trust of things that made couples couples. He was looking forward to this now. The thought two birds, one stone came to mind but he dismissed it as vulgar. He needed her to trust him, but more and more he wanted that to be reciprocal. He took that short walk back to the Heart and Crown and processed this all in that small amount of time. Feeling quite happy about his progress and quite low about what he would soon have to accomplish he sat back down with his friends and told them it was a go. She was interested and willing, she just didn't know what she was in for yet.

Jack's friends Edmond and Sal - were also friends with Drew and had come across Tiblisi's picture in the paper in regards to her freelance peice on the arrest of their dear friend.  They never had seen Jack rattled before in love. Always one to keep his distance. He was even shy one might say shy when it came to girls. However he had exceptional looks and they're the ones who had put Jack onto Tiblisi's trail. They didn't tell him how good-looking she was. They just said, want to lend a helping hand - meet this girl, get to know her, form a bond then manipulate her into telling us important information about the insiders case. Jack was reluctant at first. Extremely so, he wasn't one for whoring himself out, even if it was so important as getting his friend off a murder charge. 

The truth was, Jack's heart had been broken too. He had a girlfriend after university that pretty much broke his psyche into smithereens. She was one of those intensely beautiful women who knew particularly well how to wield the knife to get what she wanted out of people. What she wanted out of Jack was apparently his soul, because she couldn't stop with his love. After this "love" affair ended he besmirched all women on an unconscious level. The more beautiful the more they are completely unlikely of treating you right. Tiblisi threw him tonight, but she seemed vulnerable. He wouldn't like where this was going.