Chapter 1: Beginnings

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom, there lived a young Prince named Nathaniel. He had bright ocean-blue eyes and fiery red hair. Despite having everything anyone could want, including the gift of sketching beautiful illustrations, he did not have any love. Hence, he was cold and selfish.

One stormy night, there was a knock on the door. Nathaniel answered the door to see an old man outside, soaking wet. He requested a place to stay for the night and in exchange, he would give the prince an enchanted pen. Instead of accepting the deal, Nathaniel was disgusted by the old man's looks and slammed the door shut. What a mistake it was. In a flash of light, the doors burst open again and the old man revealed himself to be Master Fu, the last guardian. He could see the darkness in the Prince's heart and cursed him.

When Nathaniel looked at himself, he was shocked for he had become a hideous Akuma, Evillustrator. His staff and servants were also turned into Akumas along with him. Master Fu gave him two things: a magic mirror that allowed him to see into the outside world and the enchanted pen that will allow him to live for a certain amount of time. He also mentioned that he will have to learn how to put others before himself before the glow of the enchanted pen fade, if not, he will remain an Akuma forever. Ashamed of his appearance, Nathaniel remained isolated in his castle and his servants could only hope that one day someone will come and break the curse.

Years passed, in a village not so far away, there lived a young boy named Marc Anciel. He had striking dark hair and beautiful emerald eyes, he wore a red vest with a white apron, black pants, and black boots. He stepped out of his home with a book in hand that he borrowed from the bookshop a week earlier. As he walked out of the village, Marc could hear the murmurs of his other villager. Truth is, while he is known as the most charming boy in the village, he was also the weirdest. Not because he is so feminine, but because he chooses to read and write rather than find a woman and settle down.

"Good morning, Anciel," Kim greeted with a grin.

"Good morning, Kim," Marc said.

"Where are you heading to?" Kim asked.

"To the bookshop," Marc replied. "I've just finished the most wonderful book. About a beanstalk and an ogre and a..."

"Alright, alright," Kim cut him off. Then he turned to his friend behind him, "Max, time me now!"

As soon as Kim dashed off, Marc rolled his eyes and went on his merry way. Once he entered the bookshop, he was met with the smile of the owner, Caline Bustier.

"Ah, good morning Marc," she smiled when she saw her favorite customer. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, Ms. Bustier," Marc answered. "I just come to return the book I've borrowed."

"Finished already?" The kind woman questioned.

"It was so good that I could not put it down," Marc laughed, looking through the shelves. "Have you got anything new?"

"Not since last week," she explained.

"Oh that's okay, I will just borrow... This one!" Marc picked up a book from one of the lower shelves.

Upon closer inspection, Caline realized that it was the book that the young boy had frequently borrowed from her. "But you've already read it twice."

"Well, it's my favorite," Marc explained. "Magic powers, super villains, a romantic love square, an untold secret."

Caline laughed, "If you like it all that much, you can keep it."

"Ms. Bustier, I just can't..." the green-eyed boy began, surprised.

"I insist, it's yours," Caline said.

"Thank you," an overjoyed Marc exclaimed as he exited the store. "Thank you very much."

As he was making his way back home and reading his book at the same time, the other villagers stared at him with much judgment. Marc did not care because he knew that one day he will be a famous writer and move away from this provincial life.