Chapter One

I am awoken by my little brother Benji jumping on my bed. He pulls back the warm cover and pokes me in the tummy.

"Wake up!" Benji says. "It's morning."

"I know," I say. I rub my eyes and sit up, reaching over to pull Benji onto my lap.

"Why can't I go to school with you today, Jule?" he asks. "I always go."

"Not today, little bear," I say. "It's test day."

            Today's test is only for students aged twelve and older. Each year the Capitol sends a detailed examination to the districts. The test contains questions on History, Sciences, Mathematics, and Literature. Most of what they teach us in school is the History of Panem and the Rebellion. We learn a lot about science and math through training for jobs in the industry of our districts. But for a month preceding the examination, we are taught the History of America prior to the creation of Panem, Ancient Literature, and more detailed sciences and mathematics.

            I know it's weird, and I'm probably the only one, but I love examination day. I look forward to it. I like learning. I want to learn as much as I possibly can. I read as many books as I can get my hands on. I know it's not too practical here in District Twelve, but I trade for books all the time. I've started my own little library. I allow other kids, and adults (if they're interested), to borrow my books at no cost. Foolish of me? Probably. But it makes me happy. The people of Twelve need something to take their minds off of the monotony of life.

            I send Benji downstairs for breakfast and quickly put on my school uniform. It's not school sanctioned, but it's the outfit my mother always makes me wear to school: gray skirt, white blouse, white socks, and gray saddle shoes. I attempt to liven the outfit up by plaiting my blond hair in two French braids and tying pink ribbons on the ends. I grab my schoolbag and head downstairs. I sit at the table and rapidly eat my bowl of grain.

"Please, Juliet, show some decorum," Mother says. "Don't scarf down your breakfast."

"I don't want to be late," I say. "It's test day."

"Yes, I know. You've only been talking about it for the past month," she says. "But school doesn't start for another half hour."

"I want to get in early for some last-minute studying," I tell her.

"Why do you have to do good on the test?" Benji asks.

"Do well," I say.

"What?" he asks.

"I don't have to do well," I say, "I just want to."

"Why?" Benji says.

             I think about it for a second. Why do I care so much about a silly test? It's not like the results really matter. No one really even knows why the Capitol administers the exam. Though I think it's to keep tabs on the intelligence level of the next generation. They need to know who could potentially outsmart them. Some say the top scorers are offered jobs working for the Capitol. But I don't want to work for the Capitol; why do I care about a pointless exam?

            I finally settle on an answer. The most truthful answer I can think of.

"School is the only thing I'm good at."