Chapter 4

After our conversation, Sam took Eden home to Becca and I went back to to my house. Obviously I had offered him to come, but he had wanted to do it alone. Have that talk alone with his best friend.
And I understood that he needed to be alone on this, have some space.

Back home, I decided to do some cooking. Even though all meals were eaten at the cafeteria, I still had some cans and frozen food left at my house. My feeling told me that once Sam would come home, it would either be super late or he wouldn't be very interested in company at the cafeteria. I found a simple frozen vegetable soup in my freezer and decided to add some fresh spices and vegetables from my garden. Ever since middle school I had loved gardening, as a balance to the stress of school and football. It made me proud to see my tiny garden grow and eat my own, homegrown, organic stuff.
Never would I have thought that these skills would later on help me and a whole community survive. Of course I had told Allie about my Mini-Garden, but she didn't mind. It didn't use up common ressources, it was not a lot and I had genuiently shared my gardening skills to help the community and provide them with fresh vegetables in big quantities. So I was allowed to have that little safe haven to myself.
Harvesting some carrots, potatoes and spices, cooking, preparing the meal, cooking, setting the table, I lost complete track of time.

I didn't hear Sam when he came in, until two freckled arms were wrapped around me, whilst I was final-taste-testing the soup. Surprised I turned my upper body around and then my whole body around to take him fully into my arms- not without switching off  the heat before.
He nestled himself into my arms. For a few minutes we just stood there. Then, he kissed me. This kiss was different though. Hungry, almost starving.
I loved being there for him more than anything, but I was curious to know what had happened.

Once we sat down at the table and I filled our plates, Sam started talking.
"I was right. About everything. Campbell is the father" he explained whilst trying the soup. Apparently it was to hot and he pushed the plate away a little so it could cool down. I myself had just burned my tongue on the dish.
"So what are you gonna do? Confront Campbell as well?" I asked, even though I felt like I already knew the answer. Campbell Eliot was a full blown psychopath, he had proven that many times. Only God knew what he would do if he found out Eden was technically his.
"No.  Becca is afraid he will somehow hurt Eden and her if he finds out. And honestly, I get that. I can 100% imagine him doing that" Sam added on, reassuring what had just went through my mind.
I nodded and leaned my head on my hand. It was so fucked up that we had to deal with this type of stuff, being afraid someone would hurt a baby or an innocent girl.
"I don't wanna ask you for this Grizz, but is it okay if I keep pretending that I am her father? It's the best alibi, people will start asking questions. She has the Eliot face" he asked.
He had this crease on this forehead that he only ever got when something was really rally hurting him or making him uncomfortable. Last time I'd seen him with this expression was prom.
I sighed. I had hoped it wouldn't come down to this. Immediately he read my expression and put his arm on the table, reaching for my hand. I gave it to him and he gently started rubbing it. "I know you hate this. I hate this. But I wanna protect my best friend. My niece."
"And I understand that. I do. It's just hard" I mumbled. "I know Baby. I know. But until we can lock up Campbell for a good reason, it will have to do. I am so sorry" he explained and I nodded again.
"I only want you. That doesn't change that. I wanna be with you."
"I know. So do I. Let's eat this soup before it get's cold" I replied, and Sam smiled the softest and most beautiful smile in the history of smiles. After he wept away one tear that had found its way out, we started eating in silence, still holding hands.
Holding on in this messed up. universe.
Holding on to each other.