Chapter 5

After we had gotten done with dinner, I washed all the dishes so that Sam could relax for a little bit. Once I got done, I went into the living room to find San watching old videos of toddler me. In the current one, me and my older cousin were handed gifts from Santa. I was hiding behind her, my hair wild, my thumb in my mouth and definitely scared. "It's okay Gareth, just take the present! Say thank you! Yes, there you go !" my Mum said in the background. Her voice hadn't changed all that much since I had been little and all of the sudden my eyes got watery. I missed her.
When I was little, my mom would often sing to me because that was a big passion of hers. Julie would often sing in small pubs around town or in park's in the summer.
Sam hadn't noticed me yet and was laughing. He didn't hear my mother's voice so there was no need to get sentimental. Sam just saw a small scared boy, scared of what was ahead.
15 years later, I was still scared of what's ahead. Where would Lexi and Campbell drive this town? What would all our Futures be like? Would we ever return to normal? Was thus the new normal? Would I ever see my mom and my sister again?
I didn't know that, no one did. And it was really freaking scary.
But unlike many others in this town, I was very lucky to have someone that still cared for me deeply.

Somehow Sam noticed me and turned around. His delighted face turned into a frown when he saw my tears. He padded on the sofa next to him and gave me a questioning look. "What is it?" he signed, and instead of sitting down I laid down on the couch, my face in Sam's lap so that we could still talk. He reached out to stroke my hair and head, trying to calm me down.
What a tearful day this had been.
I signed that it was nothing, but by his face I could tell that he didn't believe me.
"The video you just saw, my mom was talking" I explained and quivered with my shoulders.  I hadn't been wanting to tell him, knowing he hadn't heard his mom in years. Felt kinda stupid complaining about this, even though it wasn't only her voice that I missed, it was her. Immediately a sorry look appeared on his face. "I'm sure you miss her and her voice. My mom told me she was an amazing singer, my parents would often go to her concerts" Sam responded. I nodded, surprised he knew about her. Then I realized what a stupid thought that was, just because he couldn't hear didn't mean there wasn't music surrounding him.
"She really was. Shortly before we went on our trip, a record company reached out to her. I wonder if they ever... Like I don't know. If she really got to record an album. If she maybe even is right now" I told him, feeling weirdly sentimental. Sam stroked one wild hair out of my face, and again there was this feeling of deep understanding between us. He didn't need to say he was sorry. Sam just sat there, petted my head and looked at me.
How could he be so loving,beautiful and kind? Some people were so mean and selfish, and I don't think that they had as much on their plate as Sam.
Being deaf, having to grow up with a psychopath brother, parents that were at work most of the time, a kind, but sometimes very spirited best friend and so on. He was so strong, I thought to myself.
"What are you thinking about?" he asked me. "You", I said.
"You're all the good things" I whispered. He turned red and looked away. I sat up, took his hand and turned his head around towards me. Humble like he was, he looked at me shyly. "Don't. You are. You're so incredibly special to me. "

Hey people :)
Thank you so much for SO MANY READS. I can't believe you guys enjoy the story so much, ahh! I started writing this cause I couldn't find any (or:not enough!) Grizzam Fanfictions! (so drop some in the comments please!)
I wanted to use this chapter to show you guys the relationship they have, but I think more will happen in these next few chapters! Likes and comments are very very appreciated.
xo