prologue

The pilot ushered me out of the plane. I didn't know what was happening, where was mom and dad? Lucas and Doug and Savannah? None of them were coming out of the plane with me. Why weren't they? I had been sitting right next to Lucas, he was right beside me, he promised he would always be right beside me as we started going down.

"Mommy!" I yelled frantically looking for my mother. "Daddy! Lucas!" None of them were responding. I turned to run back into the plane, but a man stopped me.

"Honey, you have to come with me okay? I have a couple questions for you. We'll get the blood cleaned up as well." He looked at my forehead. I lifted my arm up and felt a warm sticky liquid that must've been blood.

Why was this man calling me honey? He wasn't my family, he didn't know me, he didn't know anything about me.

I sat in this bright room with a blanket wrapped around me and a woman sitting across from me. "Hello dear, can I ask what your name is."

She seemed nice, but mom told me never to talk to strangers so I stayed silent.

"I know I'm a stranger, but my name is Teyha. Now you know my name, so we're no longer strangers."

She had a point, and she seemed really nice. "My name is Reenee... Reenee Kingsley."

"Okay Reenee. You look fairly young. How old are you?"

"I'm seven three days ago, We went to Florida to celebrate my birthday."

"Okay Reenee, so you weren't traveling alone on this plane?" I nodded at her statement, of course I wasn't. She must have questioned everyone else. "Who was travelling with you?"

"Everyone but Abigail, she was too young so we left her at our aunts. Me and Lucas are the oldest, so we got to go, and Savannah and Doug are twins, they are five this year so mom took them. Abi isn't even a year yet so mom said she couldn't come."

"I have some bad news for you Reenee," Teyha began sounding very upset. "There were two other survivors on the plane crash, and neither were any of your family members."

"No!" I screamed. "Mommy is alright! I know she is! I just want to see her!"

Teyha ushered me out of the room where I saw my aunt holding Abi. My aunt had been crying.

"Thank god you survived!" She cried as she bent down to hug me with her one free arm. "I'm so sorry that everyone else didn't."

"What do you mean?" I questioned. What did everyone mean by they didn't make it and didn't survive?

"You're parents and siblings are in a better place now honey. You'll see them in a long long time, but for now you can't see them." She cried and hugged me one last time.