Chapter 12: Goodbyes

One year later

So much time had passed since pride, and yet, I feel content. Tony and Stephen had finally gotten married and I finally got top surgery, things were looking up. The wedding was absolutely gorgeous, taking place on a beach at sunset with just us, their family. Top surgery was a success and I'd never felt better, seeing as I was feeling more euphoric and comfortable in my own skin for the first time ever. Everything became so clear after Betty got killed. I still feel guilty for it all in some way, but MJ and Ned are helping me to get over it, while Ned continues to this day his profuse apologies for not realizing Betty was obsessed with me and allowing her to know where I lived.

I woke up to a new day, a Saturday, a day without school where I could relax and hang out with whoever I wanted and do whatever I wanted. My 17th birthday had already passed and it felt fairly miserable last year, today was a day to make mine, loved ones coming over to celebrate even though it was never a huge milestone. We had all been so busy lately, but we wouldn't let that stop us from making this the best birthday ever, due to usual busyness of crime fighting and school work. Seeing as it was almost 8 am, I got ready for a day that would soon be filled with a type of satisfaction and happiness you feel only with friends, because Ned and MJ were taking me to the mall and buying me whatever I wanted.

"Someone's up early," Nat spoke before taking a sip of her coffee.

"I got to sleep early so I wouldn't be dragging myself throughout the day, I hate when that happens. "

"Well you better get ready bud, troops are here early." she spoke in a soft and simple tone while alluding to the fact that my friends were already here.

After getting ready, we were all in the car and on our way to the mall, blasting music and singing at the top of our lungs of course. Windows down with the music up, everything felt so light and carefree.

We spent the entire day wandering around the mall going through a variety of different stores. Comics, video games, new clothing and shoes, eating food at the fast food places they had there, it was one of my happiest days.

We all eventually tired out and went back to the tower to relax before eating cake. I turned on the news and something very interesting caught my eye, Francis, the guy Wade told me about.

And in this evening's news, the villain Ajax, lesser known as Francis Freeman, has yet again transformed an innocent human into a raging killer animal, similar to former Midtown High School student Betty Brant. Police and SWAT teams are trying to detain the creature now but failing. Where are Spider-Man and Deadpool? Our favourite superhero duo and couple have ceased to exist in showing they haven't come to help, it's been over a year and we still wonder 'where are they?'. Will villains start to take over for good now? Avengers if you're listening, the people need you, we have nobody else.

The news anchor looked distressed and seemed as if she was about to cry. Had us leaving really made that much of an impact? I mean, Wade and I had grown so used to fighting crime together that the Avengers didn't have to do much. I turned off the news so we could all try to focus on more positive things, like my birthday and being with my family and friends.

"Where is he? Where's Wade?" Loki popped into the room questioning us, and looking like a teenager too.

"He's-"

Thor cut me off, "Ah, my little brother has finally arrived for our celebration. How does it feel to truly be the younger one? Ha, I tower over you."

"Yes yes, so maybe I'm a teenager and maybe I've spent some time with the feeble creatures that call themselves the Young Avengers. Well, I'm back and I'm not helping them anymore. I just had to become older to help the Wiccan fight Mother, going through alternate realities. You all were affected by it, but now that she's gone, everything is back to normal." Loki spewed off on his tales of where he had been and what he had done, reminding us that he's capable of anything at this point I guess.

I got sick of it so I got up and went into the kitchen, only to find Natasha and my father getting my cake ready, "Hey kiddo, we were just comin' to get you, your cake is ready!" Nat had noticed me come in and seemed as eager as everyone else for me to be turning 18.

We all gathered around back in the living room so they could all sing badly and I could make a wish. I wished for a better year, although this had been better than the last.

"Did you make your wish Pete?" Nat smiled at me, knowing I was happier than I was last year.

"Yeah, I did. A year later, I'm with my friends and family celebrating my 18th birthday, I couldn't ask for anything better." a year ago I was filled with so much anxiety and dread. Wade killed Betty, I was getting badly beat up by Flash, the Avengers faltered from time to time without me, and still do, my 17th birthday got ruined, I'm lucky to have a better 18th. A lot has changed, and yet I couldn't be happier.

Loki spoke up, "Hey wait, no one ever answered my question. Where is Wade Wilson?"

That used to be the question that made my heart break, but I'm better now. "After everything that happened, last year is not what I wanted or needed. He had a good heart and I understood his intentions, but it was constantly weighing me down. I broke up with him, for good."

He looked shocked since he hadn't gotten the memo along with everyone else since he's always popping in and out of our lives randomly. "Well, I'm glad you're doing better. Do you think you'll ever get back together with him?"

"I'm finally in a place where I'm content and happy, no, but I wish him well and I hope he has the best life possible."