Shaking the foundations

Naruto waits for Gai to start his speech about youth and all that but to his surprise he doesn't.

Naruto is bemused by the look the older man gives him.

"Naruto-san the way you acted earlier with Kurenai you are very kind and an honorable person. I believe leaving Konoha has done you more good than bad... Today I will fight, for my village since it's my duty but I want you to know that I do not want to drag you here from the life you built."

Naruto just nods. He knew that Gai was a man who took his duty to the village seriously and would obey orders even if they seem 'unyouthful', so to speak.

He will deal with Gai just like he dealt with the others. He wanted Konoha to survive but he was vengeful enough to make it suffer.

That was the shortest fight yet.

Gai moved at speeds that were only visible to kage level ninjas and dojutsu wielders.

Naruto punched his lights out as soon as he got close.

Knocked out with one punch.

At least Gai didn't have to feel the pain of his chakra being ripped out because he was unconscious before it happened.

Winner Naruto Uzumaki.

____________________

"It's your turn next Kakashi."

Kakashi nodded at Jiraiya with a sigh.

"We still haven't figured out what he is doing to them... And I have no false hope that I will win this fight either. The best I can do Jiraiya-sama is to try and tire him out," Kakashi says and hears Tsunade scoff from the other side.

He sighed, "But I don't think even that will work."

Jiraiya stares at Tsunade and she stares back.

Kakashi slouches and walks towards the arena as his name is announced.

Once Kakashi is out of the contestant's box Jiraiya asks,

"You know don't you?"

Tsunade raises an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean? Be more specific."

Jiraiya glares, "You know what it is that he has done to the others."

Tsunade shrugs, "maybe I do maybe I don't..."

"Tsunade,"

"Don't Jiraiya. By now I can guess what it is you are going to say. So I am telling you to shut up before you make things worse than it already is between us..."

Jiraiya smiles ruefully, "you say that as if this could possibly get any worse Tsunade... We have already reached the point were you despise me, what more is there?"

Tsunade doesn't answer.

"Why?"

Tsunade sighs and looks at Jiraiya pensively, "because I was wrong Jiraiya. I made a mistake and now I am trying to make it right."

"By betraying your village."

Tsunade scowls but Jiraiya's face is blank.

"My village? This hasn't been my village, my home, in a long time Jiraiya... Things have changed and gone off the rails and we have done absolutely nothing to fix it. The council planned and that old coot manipulated and I... No, we just stood there and took it."

Tsunade shakes her head, "I am not a good leader Jiraiya it is evident from how things went... I think... No, I know that my grandfather and uncle would be ashamed of what I let his village become. Minato and Sensei... Everyone that gave anything for this village should be ashamed of what became of this village..."