SFF Sickness Part Two

*A small five-part series from an RP with a friend

The heat was the first thing that Xander was aware of, heat and a sense of urgency. It still took him far longer than he cared to admit to actually manage to force his eyes open for a moment. The curtains over the window were closed, he couldn't... couldn't tell what time it was. But he should still... he tried to sit up.

His elbows gave out immediately. "Frick," Xander groaned, collapsing back onto his pillows, breathing harsh again.

"Milord, don't strain yourself." The words were said through a yawn, and Xander turned to see Laslow standing up from a chair near the bed and stretching. "I'll get you some-"

"I can get it myself, I don't want to stay in bed," Xander interrupted. He just needed to convince his limbs that he could get up.

Laslow's expression very quickly went from half-asleep to dead serious. "Lord Xander, you're delirious again."

He was not. "I feel fine," Xander protested. "I can- *cough*"

The small cough continued, growing into a fit, and when it subsided, Laslow was lifting him slightly. "Here, water," he murmured softly, and Xander felt the rim of a glass pressed to his lips. He accepted the cool liquid gratefully, it helped his raw throat immensely.

Things got... blurry after that. The sense of urgency was still there, he vaguely registered that he'd eaten some eggs but couldn't remember doing so and his head hurt. Getting up was... probably a futile cause, he realized. He couldn't even sit up, yet anyways. "Could you at least bring me the papers on the desk?"

"For the last time, milord, no, I am not bringing you anything that even resembles work. The slower you recover, the further behind you'll be and though you think otherwise, you cannot do anything to the best of your ability while like this," Laslow told him, voice frustratingly measured and calm.

"You're overstepping," Xander accused hoarsely, the work wouldn't do itself and-

"No, I'm not. Lady Elise and Lady Linayasa would both agree with me."

Before he could raise his voice again and try to regather the thought that Laslow had cut off, there were three light knocks on the door. "Oh thank Naga." Laslow's shoulders slumped in relief, and he headed over to the door to open it. Xander tried to raise his head, but was overtaken by another coughing fit that meant he couldn't do much of anything. "Good morning to you." He heard over his coughs.

"This should help-"

Her soft voice blurred out and so did Laslow's when he began talking again. Xander swallowed as the coughing fit subsided, blinking blearily in the general direction of where the two of them were. Wishing that Linayasa would come closer, he could barely see the two of them when they were standing so close to the door. If he could just sit up... but his limbs refused to move, feeling even more heavy than they had with his... when was the last time he had attempted to sit up?

"Meeehhh... Can't be worst then my brother when he is ill." There was a bit of humor in Linayasa's tone that Xander blinked at and attempted to hold onto. A silver blur then made her way over to the bedside, setting something like a bottle on the side table. He watched quietly as she poured a glass of water, adding a pinch of something that made the liquid a pale but undiluted pink. "How much has he eaten? It's best this is not taken on an empty stomach..." she asked, turning back towards the door.

"About half a plate of eggs, though we gave up on that about an hour ago. He's-"

"Laslow..." Xander muttered, she didn't-.