you wet my eyes

No warnings (I think?)

-

(directly continued from chapter 12)

Ashton's eyes widened at Calum's statement. He didn't like this angry version of his best friend. "Violence won't solve anything," he said in an attempt of calming him down.

"I'm sick of him treating you like this, you deserve so much better!"

"Oh yeah, like what, huh? You?" Ashton asked, frustration evident in his voice.

"You're such an idiot. I've been in love with you for so long, "he confessed. "But at this point you're never gonna realize. I literally kissed you, Ashton. Don't you get that? And you kissed me back."

Ashton's heart skipped a beat at Calum's confession. He didn't know why a warmth suddenly spread through his body. Honestly, he hadn't had much time to think about their moment at the party. All he knew was that these moments had put a smile on his lips in despite of the horrible weekend he had had. When he had cried himself to sleep, the thought of Calum's lips on his, had made him calm down.  "I'm so confused right now, "Ashton deflated. "I need to figure myself out before anything else."

"And I get that," Calum said with a soft voice. "And I will be with you every step of the way. Even just as your best friend. Especially like that. But right now, you need to finish things with Jim, before he sends you to the hospital." Or worse, he thought bitterly.

"But don't you get it? I'm already dead," Ashton huffed. 

"What do you mean?" Calum's brows furrowed.

But Ashton didn't elaborate. "I can't leave him," he simply said.

Calum carefully put his hand against Ashton's cheek, looking him in the eye. "Ashton, whatever it is, it's not love. And it's not healthy, you need to get out, "he spoke softly.

"I cheated on him, Cal. I'm a horrible person," he said with tears in his eyes. "He loves me so much."

"Ash- "Calum started.

"He's gonna kill me, the next time he sees me," he sniffled. His breathing was getting more and more uneven. 

"That won't happen, I won't let it happen," Calum said, meaning it with every fiber of his being. He would die before he would let anything happen to Ashton again. He hadn't been there in the past. He had failed Ashton. But that was over now. Calum wouldn't fail again.

"He knows where I am. I stayed with Luke yesterday, but he found us. He's gonna come back, he's..." Ashton trailed off.

"How about you stay with me for a while, huh?" Calum suggested, yearning to take care of his best friend, and crush, again. He would feel much better if he was able to keep an eye on the shorter boy.

"But- "Ashton started.

"No 'buts', please just let me take care of you," he said as he embraced him. He could feel the fabric of his shirt turning wet, but he didn't mind.

In this moment he just wished that he could take Ashton's pain. He had been through so much already and he didn't deserve any of it.

"You should call your mom," Calum said, breaking the silence. "And tell her you won't be home in a while."

Ashton nodded and went to wipe the tears from the corners of his eyes, but Calum beat him to it. He softly brushed his thumbs under the other boy's eyes. He hated the fact that Ashton cried so much. But he would be there to wipe away his tears. He thanked the oceans for giving him Ashton as he looked into his brimming hazel eyes.

-

AN: this is short and kind of just a filler, even though Calum CONFESSED!! AHH