Chapter 7: Secrets Of The Past

*Nathan's P.O.V.*

I sat down on my bed downstairs and ran my fingers through my hair.

I've just destroyed her life.

Gosh, I'm such an idiot!

I sighed and pulled out a picture I was able to save before our house exploded.

It was the picture of our wedding. She looked absolutely stunning in her white dress.

I knew I've told her that I had never really loved her but that was a damn lie. She already had enough struggles to deal with, she was already in danger because of her relation to Raymond Reddington. If any of these men, who were coming after her, would know she was my weakness as well... Well, that would not have been good. Besides of that, it was very unprofessional for me to fall for her. As my boss used to tell me She's your client, not your wife! I wasn't supposed to fall in love with her. And although I knew it was wrong I just couldn't let go off her.

But the truth was I loved her. I'd die for her. I loved her so much, I didn't know what to do without her. And right now where she was going through a lot, I wished I could just kiss away the pain, make it go away, stop it! If she gets teary eyed it's driving me insane. I just loved her.

-

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

As John Shepherd came back home he didn't expect anything unusual going on at his house.

Of course, he had already heard the news of his daughter's and her so- called husband's putative death. But he knew the truth.

He entered his house and hang up his coat before entering the living room where an unexpected visitor already awaited him.

"Good afternoon, John", he greeted politely, his ice blue eyes staring at him intensely, "Take a seat. I'd like to talk to you, my friend."

"We don't have to talk, Red", John countered and slowly walked towards the man, "And you shouldn't be here anyway."

The man with the black fedora started to laugh.

"Take a seat", he replied then, his voice was deep and smooth, "Otherwise, I'm afraid Miss Shaw would like to help you!"

John looked around and recognized the woman in black, standing behind him, her arms crossed.

He knew her. He had seen her before. A former CIA agent or moreover assassin, causing some trouble here and there.

"Well, I might have a minute", John agreed then, not intimidated but healthily respectful, and sat down at the table, turning around again to make sure the woman didn't move, "What do yo want to talk about, Raymond?"

Immediately, he smirked at John.

"I guess both of us know that this fire was certainly not caused by a gas leak. And moreover, we both know that neither Elena nor her husband have died", he started explaining, "But the point is... I don't like to be winded up!"

Immediately, John felt a strong hand on his head, pressing him against the table. His head hurt as he opened his eyes again and felt the cold blade of a knife on his neck.

Red got up and walked over to him.

"And now tell me, where has she gone?", he asked seriously.

"She's safe", John replied quietly, trying not to move, "There's a whole team of FBI special agents taking care of her."

The other man laughed again while the woman remained in silence all the time, just pressing her knife against his neck.

"Do you really think those special agents are able to protect her from the men coming after her? I doubt that, my dear friend", he countered smirkingly and light up his cigar, "Now tell me where they are..."

"I don't know where they are", John admitted honestly, "And even if I knew I wouldn't tell you, Raymond!"

Immediately, the woman pressed his head against the table again.

"Wrong answer, John", the deep male voice mumbled and turned around, "You know, I'm quite disappointed right now."

The older man with the white hair looked up to him.

"I asked you, the director of the FBI, to take care of my little girl after Sharon's breakdown because you are my friend and I knew you had the abilities to protect her", he continued calmly trying not to show his rage, "I paid for her therapy when she got ill, made it appear like it was your idea, knowing she'd still hate me at all. But I didn't mind because I knew she was safe. But right now she is in real danger. And I'm going to protect her on my own now. So I'm going to ask you one last time. Where is she?!"

-

*Elena's P.O.V.*

I slowly opened my eyes. I must have fallen asleep on the bed Emma had shown me earlier.

I was simply overwhelmed because of everything that has just happened.

Emma was really nice and understanding. She took good care of me and I was sure the other one's were nice as well but I didn't know if I was able to spend my time with Nathan any longer. It was like he's been cheating on me for the past five years. And although he officially confirmed he had never loved me at all, part of me still wanted to believe it was a lie, part of me just didn't want to let go off him.

Suddenly, I recognized a little picture on the shelf next to the bed. I regarded it closely and immediately, my eyes filled with tears again.

It was a picture of our wedding. He must have saved it from the fire.

I quickly wiped away the tears that were running down my cheeks.

The pain was almost unbearable.