Chapter 76: The Leafy Jewel Box Surfaces Again

"Now, about the other shell, the one in the phylum Mollusca, class Bivalvia.  It is called Chama macerophylla, also known generally as the Leafy Jewel Box.   Have you heard of this one?"

Of all of the shells in all of the world, why this one? "Yes", StLF glumly replied.   "I saw one when I was a young child and handling it got me in trouble I didn't deserve."

"No kidding?  I can't picture you getting in trouble ever.  And, certainly not over a shell!  These shells are more likely to cause trouble for fishermen and commercial enterprises because they attach themselves to ships hulls and docks and buoys.  They are hard to remove, and if they are not removed, they cause paint erosion and water drag.   They happen to be bivalves that are not particularly tasty, but they do have some use.    Scientists use them to investigate the effects of the production of offshore gas and oil, by looking at concentrations of heavy metals such as cadmium, iron, lead, zinc, copper, manganese and cobalt.  Water at the locations of offshore drilling is called produced water.  This water is piped to the surface and the oil or gas is removed, and then the water is released, still having these dissolved metals. 

Researchers want to analyze these concentrations of metals and see if they are affecting the benthic organisms, including Chamamacerophylla.   I had a professor who was really into these types of studies, and shared papers and articles he collected way back in the 1990s.  One that really impressed him was called "Distribution and Bioacclimation of Heavy Metals from Produced Water Discharges to the Gulf of Mexico", a study led by J. H. Trefry.   Apparently this professor has led a lot of research starting from way back in the 1980s and 90s on environmental impact studies."

StLF grinned. "My family is very familiar with Dr. Trefry's work. They would agree that he is one very dedicated worker.   I'll tell you more about Dr. T. later, but I'm confused about this Leafy Jewel Box being the same beautiful shell I laid eyes on.  It was only about seven centimeters across.  What size shell are you describing?  What does it look like?"

"This species averages about ten centimeters across its diameter, and sometimes it is brightly colored in shades of yellow, orange and purple.  They have ribbed, leafy projections going out in uneven rows.   From what you describe, I think the one you saw must be a rare find, to have been found in a tide pool and not cemented on some hull or piling.  As they grow, the shell gets thicker and not quite so lovely and fragile."

StLF never expected to hear of that prized shell again.  The one that started a feud with a neighbor wasn't so special after all.   At least the species could be put to practical use.   Stef must tell Mom and Dad about Dr. T's connection to the shell.