Chapter Eight- Livia

We rode for hours until Amah decided there was enough distance between us and the threat. In our escape, Amah had thrown the boy on a horse of his own. He has now drifted away a short distance, keeping to himself.

His name is Oliver. The man fighting the assassin and who helped us escape was his brother.

"Livia, quit staring."

"But I feel bad for him. He doesn't even know if his brother is okay or not. I feel like there is something I should do for him."

"Well, don't. Leave him be."

I pull my cloak tight around my shoulders. The ground is still covered with a thin layer of snow, tufts of grass poking out in random places. But the chill in the air warns us of more snow.

I glance over and Oliver is whispering to his horse.

"Aren't we more interesting than a horse?"

Amah breathes out heavily from her nose. I can tell I'm testing her patience.

"He's just lost his mother, and he has no idea what has happened to his brother. Let him find comfort in his horse. Besides, we don't need him poking around and asking questions. The less he knows, the better."

What is he going to do? Tell the trees? I keep the sarcastic comments to myself. They would only irritate her more.

"I want to point out the bad decision you made to leave your bed. You should've stayed there."

"But I didn't know where you were! And I saw the Silent Watcher. What was I supposed to do?" I shake my head. "You know I can't just stand by, and do nothing. And when I came across Oliver, I couldn't leave his fate to the assassin. I'm no monster."

A silence stretches between us.

"I should never have left you," she says.

"Why? Because you think me weak?"

"That's not what I meant."

"I told you, I'm not queen material."

Amah pinches the bridge of her nose.

"Livia. Your actions alone make you queen material. Sacrificing yourself to protect others is the number one quality a successful ruler must have. I said I should never have left you, because what you lack is the skill to protect yourself."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry for not being there. However, this whole situation shows me how brave you are. I'm proud of you—as would be your parents."

"Thanks," I say. "I like to think I would make them proud."

"And En Oli?"

"Yes?"

"You are definitely queen material."

I smile awkwardly as a heavy weight of responsibility settles into my stomach. I still don't understand why a kingdom would want a sixteen-year-old to rule over them.

"How old was Queen Bellflower when she first became queen?"

"I'm not sure. The Temple will have plenty of material for you to scour through. I'm sure you will find all your answers there."

"Temple? Pynth's Temple in Willow Round?"

"That's the one."

"Weren't you raised there?"

"For a time."

"Oh! Isn't the undying Willow there, too."

She rolls her eyes at my excitement. She knows I love to talk about anything to do with magic. The undying Willow has stood for thousands of years. It is no longer in bloom now that magic is gone, but surprisingly enough, it remains upright and has yet to wither away. The idea of seeing it in person is fascinating. We can't get there fast enough.