Chapter Twenty Nine- Vera

The moment Kgar dismisses me, I go search for Zyrik. My need to have his small arms around my neck drives my urgency. It's been too long since I've seen my Little Rik, and even though I can't save my sister at this time, I can at least breathe easier knowing my participation in her capture has kept Zyrik alive.

It was unnerving to see the king treat my sister with kindness. He knew I would take note, and the sly grin he gave as she was taken away confirmed that. He barely listened as I gave my report about the war and provided news of his uncle. He brushed me away as if I meant nothing. It was a first, and I welcomed it.

Whenever I pass by the Scree's chamber on my way to Zyrik's room, I always walk swiftly past to avoid her dark gaze and cryptic words. As I pass this time, I hear her door open.

"Vera?"

I freeze in place, and turn slowly in response to the sound of a man's voice.

"Marcus?" I notice the stub at the end of his arm, and guilt consumes me.

He takes a step forward, filling the space between us. His unruly hair and soft full lips make me swallow. I'm surprised by how quick my desire sparks.

"You are back earlier than expected," he says. "Did you bring back your sister?"

Of course he knew. "I did."

"Seems pretty shitty for them to keep the knowledge of her from you this whole time."

"Yeah," I say mindlessly. "Why are you coming out of the Scree's room?"

He looks over his shoulder. "Oh, I was just delivering a message." He steps closer and wraps his arm around me. I push him away.

"Marcus, stop."

"But I've missed you, Vera," he whispers.

"I've missed you, too. Do you deliver messages often?"

"Not really. I barely have anything to do with her."

The Scree's door opens back up and out steps the Scree; she wears a gown that leaves nothing to the imagination, and her long hair falls down in front of her, barely covering her breasts. She leans against the door frame with a wicked smile.

"Vera, you're back!" she purrs. "Welcome home, my dear. I see you've reacquainted yourself with my prized servant. Be careful not to touch him. I'm tired of having to rectify your mistakes. Of course he doesn't mind it at all. Do you Marcus?" Her musical voice grates on my skin.

I stare wide-eyed at Marcus; he winces as his betrayal is revealed. "I'm so sorry, Vera."

I take a step back and feel my heart crack inside my chest. The memories of passion and what I'd once thought could be love trickle out into nothing. I'm a fool to have believed he was done with the Scree. Why would he want to stay with me when he has this?

"Vera," he whispers.

Anger bursts inside me. "Don't ever say my name again." My gift rushes up and I drop him to his knees. Fear gleams in his eyes, and I know I can easily crush him. Instead I ball up my fist and punch him hard in the face. I hear his nose crack.

Marcus cries out in pain. "Holy shit, Vera!" He holds his nose as blood runs out. I turn and walk away.

I allow myself a small moment to feel the pain of his betrayal. When the moment's gone I slam a wall up, and lock my emotions away. So many times I've experienced the pain of being alone. But pain is part of my life. Am I capable of feeling any different? Can I become something different other than the hard-shelled girl I've always been?