Chapter 4

10:43pm

"Ashton Fletcher Irwin, where have you been?", Mum growled as I snuck through the front door.

"Fuck", I whispered to myself. Me and Luke lost track of time. I didn't realise it was 10:30pm until I looked at my phone, and then it took me a while to get back home.

I was trying to think of a lie. "I, uhhh...I-I was with the girl who gave me those flowers", I said without thinking.

She walked up to me. "Alright, but next time text me if you're coming home late, yeah?", She said.

I nodded. "Yup", I replied.

"Go to bed, Ash, it's late", Her motherly instinct kicked in.

I nodded. "Goodnight, mum", I kissed her cheek and went up to my bedroom.

I took off my shirt and jeans, before getting into bed with just my boxers on. I checked my phone and had a text from an unknown number. I opened it and read it.

Message from unknown- 10:46pm

Hey Ash, it's Luke:) Did you get in trouble with your parents?

I quickly changed the contact to 'Lukey:) x' and replied.

Message from Ash:)x- 10:47pm

No:) But I need to find somewhere to put all those lollies you gave me

Message from Lukey:)x- 10:47pm

Hahaha:) Sharing is caring...

Message from Ash:)x- 10:47pm

Yup! Can I talk to you tomorrow? I'm really tired, and I think I'm gonna fall asleep...

Message from Lukey:)x- 10:48pm

Of course:) You need your beauty sleep, cutie! Goodnight xx

Message from Ash:)x- 10:48pm

Goodnight, Lukey xx

Message from Lukey:)x- 10:49pm

Lukey?

Message from Ash:)x- 10:49pm

I'm sorry, don't you like it?

Message from Lukey:)x- 10:50pm

Yes I like it:) I just wasn't expecting it. Goodnight, Ash xx

Message from Ash:)x- 10:50pm

Okay, goodnight, Lukey xx

I put my phone down before snuggling into my blankets, and falling into a deep sleep...

-

"Remember, we are having a barbque here tonight, with some of our neighbours", Mum said as I ate my cereal at the breakfast bar.

Every now and then, my parents put on a barbque for the neighbourhood. Don't ask me why, they just do for some odd reason? I guess it's to meet new neighbours, and to socialise with new people...

These little neighbourhood barbecues mean a lot to my mum. I don't know why, but they're special to her, so we do them a lot.

I nodded. "Yeah, I know", I replied. "Would you like my help with anything?".

"Umm...your father is cleaning the barbecue, but you can come to the supermarket with me and help pick meat and things?", She suggested.

I nodded. "Yeah, that's fine", I smiled.