Chapter 28

As you read this chapter, listen to these two songs, which I feel are very representative of the two conflicting emotions Jordan feels. 

Dynasty- Miia

Shatter Me- Lindsey Stirling ft. Lzzy Hale

***

After I got lunch with Siena and Allison, I decided I would head home to see if Grey was back yet from his meeting with the Archangels. I was anxious- my heart felt like it was in my throat. I don't know. I guess I was just worried that either the tablet we found didn't actually have any viable information on it or that the way to rePledge me would be practically impossible. 

My mind was swirling with a million different possibilities as I walked down the little cobblestone alleyway to the massive set of doors leading into the apartment complex. I still couldn't believe Grey actually owned the entire thing. Who just casually owns a city block in Paris?

I swear, that man was the most extra person on the face of this planet. 

It was drizzling again outside, as it had been off and on all morning. It reminded me of home, though, so I was quite content with it. However, pretty sure I looked like a wet dog. 

My feet rambled against the iron staircase as I hurried up to the third floor and walked across the catwalk to his apartment. I fumbled a little with the key he gave me before finally inserting it into the lock and turning the knob. The door swung open with ease and I frowned a little. Hmm. I would've thought he would be home by now. 

"Grey?" I called out, half expecting to hear a shuffle of feet hurrying into the living room. But nothing. 

Except-

What was that?

Maybe it came from outside. 

Yes, that must be it. 

But there it was again, clear enough to be coming from the next room. A girl's laughter. 

I could hear my heart pound slowly in my ears as I slowly walked over to where the bedroom met the living room.  

She was straddling his lap, his hands around her waist. Her auburn locks fell in luxurious waves down over her shoulder, effectively hiding him from view. The fabric of her shirt bunched as he tightened his grip on her waist, eliciting a giggle from her. She pulled back from him, moving to take off her shirt, but as she did so, her hair moved just enough to where I could see him. 

When our eyes met, I felt it. I felt it deep within my soul, down to the very core. Like the anchor that had held me steady against a raging current just snapped. 

And what followed- oh God what followed.

It burned through me like Hellfire, scorching through my veins and tearing at the walls I'd built to keep it hidden. It bubbled underneath the surface of my skin, searching for a weakness, searching for a way to escape. It wanted out. And I couldn't contain it. Not for much longer anyways. 

"Jordan," I heard him say, his cerulean eyes widening. His voice sounded like it would if I were underwater. It was blurred. I watched him shove Siobhan off of him and stand up from the bed abruptly. But I didn't meet his gaze. I kept my focus right on her. Right on those beady little eyes that twinkled, knowing she got exactly what she wanted.

I said nothing. I was too focused on trying to keep this furious beast inside of me from escaping its cage. It rattled its chains, pounding against my skin with every beat of my faltering heart.