Chapter 26: Saying Goodbye

**********November 4, 2018**********

I kissed Asani forehead before climbing out of bed. I watched him sleep for a moment. Thoughts of him, Gregorio, and Kay clouded my mind. I was so close to letting it all go for them. My mind wouldn't let me forget though. The minute sleep overtook me, I was taunted with images of my dead children. The faces of those who wronged me still there laughing at the fact that I still had to live with all that they did to me. I shook my head before kissing his forehead and walking out. I went to Alaina's room and kissed her cheek as she slept. No matter what success I had in life, bring her home to Asani was my proudest moment. She was officially back in the custody of her father and seem so happy. I wipe the tear that dropped thinking about my life if my children had survived.

I walked out quietly only stopping to leave Asani's letter on the kitchen island. I headed to my apartment I shared with Kay and snuck in. I left the letter for Kay and Gregorio on our island the same I had done Asani. I grabbed my bags out of the front closet before slipping out. I wasn't able to give them the goodbye I wanted but I couldn't wait any longer.

I drove to the club to leave my car. I got a Lyft to the airport allowing the calmness I was beginning to feel take over me. When I arrived I destroyed the SIM card before giving the driver the phone. I headed inside after checking my bags. I was ready for the end. It was time to go home.

************

I closed my eyes, shaking the memory of my departure from California. I sighed before opening them again. I continued to watch him as took what had to be his eight shot of whiskey. He was definitely drunk by now so it was time to make my move. I left a hundred on the table before moving to the bar to sit beside him. His head was down and he didn't flinch now that I was in his space. I ordered a  shot and rum and coke, noticing his head lift at the sound of my voice.

"I'm tripping" he mumbled

"You good?" I asked looking down

"Yeah" he cleared his throat "You voice... it just reminded me of someone I use to know"

"It's that Cali swag" I smirked took my shot "I'm Roxanne"

He hesitated before sighing again "Kane"

"You seem down"

"You seem friendly"

"Whoa" I held up my hands "My bad man"

It was silent between us again before he shook his head and cursed under his breath.

"It's my bad... I'm just not having... life just not going right"

"I can understand that" I nodded "What happen?"

"I just lost a lot of people I thought were important...."

"People come and go"

"I know that now" he shrugged "but I learn that shit way to late"

"People tend to disappoint us" I shook my head before getting up "You need this more than me"

I passed him the drink before walking away. I headed to the restroom and area and waited. I watched him for ten minutes before I headed back out towards the door. When I got outside, I stood there faking like I was waiting for someone. Just as expected the bartender and security carried Kane outside ten minutes after.

"Hey what's going on?" I asked

"Calm down sweetheart" the bartender struggled to open Kane's backseat door "He does this all the time. He'll sober up and go home"