Chapter 25: I Love You...

******October 31, 2018******

I walked off the plane and jumped in the car with Kay behind me. We both were tired but I had to make sure nothing ruin my surprise. We pulled up at my apartment and once everything was inside, Kay stayed while I headed to see Asani. After my last kill, I wanted some time alone so I used that time to set up my surprise. The minute they started questioning my trip, I flew Kay out to calm their nerves and handle business. So far all my moves have gone undetected and I was hopefully everything would work out.

Pulling up at Asani's place I grabbed the small gift I had for him before heading inside. I had a key but chose to knock on the door just in case. Asani wasn't the best person to sneak up on which I learn the hard way. When he opened the door he smiled before  pulling me into a hug.

"Happy Birthday" I kissed he cheek

"Thanks ma" he kissed my lips "I didn't know you was coming back today"

"I couldn't miss my best friends birthday. That'd just be tacky" we laughed "Plus I got a few surprises for you"

"Oh really"

"Starting with this"

I handed him the bag and he smiled. He closed the door before we headed over to the couch. He move the tissue paper and pulled out the portrait I had painted of his only picture with Alaina. His mouth dropped and his eyes slowly watered looking at the picture. He gently placed it on the table before engulfing me in another hug. This time he broke down in my arms. It was hard hiding truth from him when I wanted so badly to ease his pain. I kissed him all over his face as I wiped his tears. I pulled him up and walked him to his room. He was already ready for bed but I needed a shower. Once I was done, I crawled into bed with him laying in on chest, quickly realizing he wasn't actually sleep as his arms wrapped around me.

"Thank you Giovanni"

"It's just the beginning"

"You didn't—"

"You've done so much and had my back no matter what. This is my way to show you how thankful I am" I sat up and looked at him "I appreciate you Asani. No matter what happens, don't ever forget that. Don't forget how important you are to me" I kissed him deeply before pulling away and smiling "Now go to sleep birthday boy"

He kissed me again before pulling me back down. I closed my eyes and evened out my breathing attempting to sleep. I've only slept a few times since the last "mission" or whatever. My sleeping doesn't last long before the darkness becomes a nightmare. Still, I'd pretend for Asani. He was there most of the times I feel asleep and knew about the nightmares so he didn't press anymore. He knew my time was short so we nonverbally agreed to live in the moment as long as we can.

My eyes were closed for a while. Just as I was ready to open them he began to speak.

"Giovanni" he sighed "I wish you saw yourself the way I do. Man you're so special baby girl. I wish I could've found you before it all went down. I wish I could've gave you what all those people didn't. I want you to know you are more than your past ma... we all got demons. I got plenty... but it doesn't make who we are"

He sighed before kissing my forehead. I let out a dee sigh pretending to be asleep.

"God... I know I'm a fucked up dude. I been saying I'm getting out the shit for years. I broke my promise to you and didn't leave when Alaina was born... but I need you to save my girl. I need you to protect her from herself. Just... let her see all the things we can do together. We can both let this shit go and be something better... God I can't lose her"