Chapter Nine: Smile for me

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My hair stuck to my face, which I needed to fix. For what I was going to do, I needed to study my whole face. So, I started my search for a hair tie, or something to keep my hair back. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to do this after a shower, after all. Then again, it was a last minute decision.

The closest I got to hair tie was a rubber band, and I decided that it would suffice. When my hair was up, and away from my face, I wiped down the mirror, clearing the condensation from the surface so I could see myself clearly again.

“Okay, so… When people smile, they normally lift here.” I tapped each corner of my mouth, and attempted to mimic a smile. But, all that appeared was a warped grimace. I let my ‘smile’ drop, so I could re-evaluate my goal. “Maybe there’s more to it…”

“Kurami!” There was a banging on the bathroom door, but my eyes didn’t leave my own face. What else is put into a smile? “Kurami! I need to go to the toilet! Hurry up!” I closed my eyes, deciding to undergo some research. “Kura-“

Naruto was cut off when I swung the door open, a towel wrapped around me. “Smile.”

“Gah!” Naruto spun around, covering his eyes in addition to not looking. “Get dressed! Geez!” I did as I was told, grabbing my clothes from the top of the toilet and closing the door once more. “But, still, hurry up!” Naruto called from the other side of the door again, this time not banging like he was before. “I still need to go.”

I was done rather quickly, and went to fetch the blonde. “I’m finished.” I stated as I entered the lounge room. The blonde jumped up from his spot on the couch, sprinting to the now unoccupied bathroom, yelling his thanks as he passed me.

My eyes travelled around the room, inspecting the cleanliness. It was clear the room needed to be dusted and vacuumed, but that could be done another day. I was broken out of my inspection as Miso appeared at my feet, panting loudly.

“What do you want?” I asked, to which the dog cocked his head to the side, still looking cheery. With one hand, I picked the animal up. My eyes roamed the puppy, who still didn’t seem fazed by how roughly I was holding him.

Slowly, I raised the corners of my mouth, attempting another smile. Miso quit panting, and started to flail in my grip. When I didn’t let go, he started whimpering, and eventually caught my hand with his teeth. I let go, dropping my smile and watching as the dog scampered out of the room, cowering.

My hand rose, and I inspected it. Noticing the mutt had managed to draw blood, I entered the kitchen, running the small wound under water. I was already experiencing weird symptoms around my chest area, and my immune system might not be at full strength thanks to my unknown disease. As far as I knew, a small nip could lead to an infection. Better safe than sorry, I figured.

“What are you doing?” Naruto asked from the doorway, Miso in his arms. “And why is Miso so scared?” I turned off the water, and faced the blonde. Miso still looked rather traumatized, and I figured that it didn’t look too good considering my previous actions towards the dog.

“I smiled, and he bit me.” Naruto’s eyes rolled, and I studied the movement as he did, storing it into my memory for later. That action could come in handy if I mastered it.

“I doubt a smile could make Miso bite you.”

“But, I’m telling the truth.” Naruto looked down at Miso, and smiled. I watched as the corners of his blue eyes crinkled, and how his teeth shone as his lips lifted. That’s what I was missing! The crinkled eyes, and teeth.

“See,” Naruto held up the now cheery dog, “No bites.” I dried my hands on a cloth, and exited the room.

“I need a mirror.” I surveyed each room, looking for one.

“What for?” Naruto pursued me, which made my chest feel light again. No, something was definitely wrong. I’d have to go back to the doctors again, this time demanding answers. “Kurami?”

“I need to practice smiling.” By the sound of silence, follow my laughter behind me, I figured Naruto didn’t believe me.

“Seriously, what do you need a mirror for?” I turned, finally finding a small, pocket mirror within the mess of Naruto’s room.

“To practice smiling.” I held the mirror out in front of me, ignoring the confused blonde. I rose the corner of my lips, showing teeth this time, and crinkled my eyes slightly.

“Wow, you’re actually serious.” I let the façade drop, and I turned to the male. “Well, you look scary.” He deadpanned, scratching his cheek meekly.

“Then show me how.” Naruto shrugged, chuckling a little.

“I can’t really ‘show you’ per-say. You smile when you need to smile, I guess.” He ran a hand through his hair, “I can’t really explain it.” He let his own smile appear, “But, if it means anything, your smile was pretty, even if it was scary.”

My chest felt light again, and my heart hammered in my chest. In addition, my head felt a little light. This was worrying. If this continues, I’ll have to confess to the Hokage that I was sick, and therefor unfit to be a ninja. I would be killed, of course. But, this disease could be infectious, and I’d rather die than let this spread to anyone. Of course, if anybody else had this disease, I felt sorry for them. These sensations were the absolute worse. 

___________________________

And, after 3456789 million years, I upload. I'm seriously sorry D: i actually forgot about this >.> and when I remembered, I just.. couldn't.. be... bothered... to... upload.... >.> oops. Well, I hope you like it, no matter how short it is >< so, yea. ^.^'