Chapter One

• Dedicated to Tiary DeGrate

I woke up in panic, sweat beating down on my face, I was afraid and I glanced around my room in fear. I’d had a bad dream… or so I thought. It seemed like as soon as I opened my eyes, my memories of the horrifying dream vanished.

I turned on my lamp on the night stand next to my bed. Rubbing my eyes I reached for my cell phone. It was only 3:22 a.m. and my alarm clock wasn’t set to go off until 7:30. Quickly, I headed for my door to go down stairs for a glass of water.

I walked on my tip toes, trying not to press my feet hard against the wooden floors. The slightest bit of noise would surely wake up Roy, my mother’s abusive boyfriend of 5 months. Just the thought of him catching me roaming around the house at this hour brought pain to my arm, where the scar and cigarette burn was still visible. I was currently his favorite human ashtray and the method was used every time he lashed out, or felt the need to punish me.

I gripped the stair rail, sliding the palm of my hand against the smooth wood and preceded forward downstairs. With each step I held my breath, fearful of being caught. Downstairs, every light was off, except for the glowing, dim light reflecting on the walls from the television in the family room. Afraid of finding Roy in there, I pressed my back against the wall and peeked behind the wall. My mother was passed out on the sofa with the remote closed in her hand. A nearly empty glass of vodka could be seen on the glass table. She was knocked out cold, which meant morning would be a bitch for not only her, but for everyone.

I walked past my mother effortlessly and made my way to the kitchen. As I held my glass up under the faucet, I looked up through the massive glass window which covered the entire back end of the house. Kyler Blackwood’s bedroom window was visible by the flickering light I assumed to be his TV.

Kyler lived next door to me for the past 9 years. He’d moved to Marquette from Orlando and was quickly accepted. Over the years, his gorgeous native features earned him all the attention from every girl residing in Marquette. He was what most girls called a “total package”. From his looks, brains, and athletic abilities, he was every girls dream guy. Plus, he came with an added bonus. Kyler was completely selfless and was kind, polite, and often quiet. He was one of the few guys at Northview High that had respect for females. He opened doors for us, pulled out our chairs, and even offered rides home. It was no doubt that every girl in our city had had a crush on him at one point in time. Even I am a member of Kyler’s crush club. Only thing was… he was my best friend. I was the first friend he’d gained the summer he moved to Michigan. Kyler was off limits, in my eyes; un-datable. He told me everything and expressed all his feelings unto me. I was his very own personal diary.

Girls at school considered me to be lucky and often mistaked me for his girl. Flattered, I’d smile and shake my head, refusing the title. “We’re just friends,” I’d say turning the other way, wishing I could accept the title.

I clenched my glass cup coming back to reality. I took one last sip and placed my glass in the sink quietly, making sure that it didn’t touch the other dishes. I glanced at Kyler's window one last time and noticed his bedroom light come on.

I could see him, his broad, muscular torso sitting up in his bed stretching. It was like he could feel my presence. He looked up, made eye contact, and smiled at me. His brilliant, perfect, white teeth flashed at me making me light-headed. Even a few yards away he still had that unbelievable alluring effect on me.

He crawled out of bed and held up his index finger signaling me to hold on. On all fours, he looked up under his bed and seconds later pulled out his sketch pad. I watched as he pulled out a big black sharpie out the mug on his dresser and began to scribble.

Walking towards the window, he held up the sketch pad which read: OPEN YOUR WINDOW, I’M COMING OVER. I shook my head and swiftly made my way back upstairs. When I got to my room, he was already standing on my balcony waiting for me to let him in.