Chapter 3

A/N: Italics are for when someone is thinking.

James's PoV:
"You're married to him?!" I thought, shocked. "What...? Are you okay, Mr Madison?" John replied. Oh, shit... I must have said that out loud! "Yea, I'm fine. And please... call me James" I said, smiling at him. He smiled back at me, "okay, James. What was it that you wanted to ask?"  "Oh, uh... you're uh you're m-married to T-Thomas?" I stuttered, knowing how bad of a person he is. "Sadly yes... I am" John sighed. What does he mean... 'sadly'? Was he forced into marriage, was it because of social status, or family arrangements? "What do you mean... s—" he sighed, "I'm his slave... I didn't have a choice" he explained, cutting me off mid sentence. I was shocked, how could he force someone to marry him... let alone a slave. He was against slavery... or so I thought. "I will help you, I-I promise!" I told him. 

I confronted Thomas. "How could you be so horrible? Like I know it's you but... isn't this too far? You married someone who doesn't even love you!" I couldn't believe that he would do this... I thought he cared. "What do you mean..? I'm not horrible, James. And John does love me, I made sure of that!" Thomas replied angrily. What is going on? Thomas is a nice guy... right. And John wouldn't lie to me..... would he?  I sighed, walking away... I knew that I wouldn't win this battle. I will help John... I promised him that much. He deserves more but what else can I do?