CH52

\\\\CH52\\\\

    Natuk was vigilantly patrolling a small secluded plateau top. In reality, he was entirely bored, and while the plateau may have been secluded a few hours ago, there were now hundreds of human and AAF soldiers and vehicles milling about, creating sandbag barricades, bunkers, and barbed wire fences. The lonely landscape had become populated with a few dozen artillery pieces of earthly origin, massive guns that were designed to lob shells many miles away.
    The spectacle of advanced machinery was a major annoyance for his patrol. The makers who had been conscripted into raiders were far more interested in the intricate inner-workings of the emplements rather than their patrol. Natuk had to make it a point to not gaze in the direction of the camp, and had to constantly admonish his subordinates to do the same.
    Lieutenant Spetz's AAF team that was with him gave Natuk a little more peace of mind, at least. If they were targeted by a major attack by the Vord, now they would have a fighting chance. Spetz's team formed a vee, with Spetz at the point, Sargeant Dewell to his left, and Aelyn and Teichart to his right. They followed alongside the right of Natuk's line formation, constantly scanning the horizon with scopes and binoculars. Even after hours of patrol, the AAF team hardly said a word.
    The Marines at the artillery camp were far more social. As they prepared their guns, they chatted to each other in some foreign language Natuk had not hope in understanding. Occasionally, when they were on break, they would perch atop of their vehicles and watch Natuk and Spetz make their rounds outside the camp. What they found so fascinating about his Canim, he did not understand.
    At around mid morning, a couple group of the Marines, a dozen men apiece, left the artillery camp and met up with Spetz. The Marines were armed with rifles, similar in design and presumably function as an AAF one, but scaled down to fit the average human soldier. They wore a helmet and a sort of clothy chestplate as armor, which Natuk doubted would offer any protection against the Vord. After a brief interaction, the lieutenant informed Natuk that the Marines would temporarily relieve them, so that they may take a break to rest, drink, and eat. After all, they didn't want to project the image that they required the Canim, or even AAF to protect them.
    His Raiders were thrilled at the chance to get a closer look at the equipment at the camp. Natuk, as a career warrior, had little idea of why. Had they not seen the same AAF equipment? What made the human's creations so much more interesting? As they entered the artillery camp, he finally saw what his raiders saw from further away: These machines were far more mechanical than their AAF counterparts. They had hinges and gears and levers and wheels that were all exposed for observation. While Natuk was no expert at these mechanical ideas, the devices looked like they made sense, in a satisfying way, too.
    A couple of Marines met them at the entrance, and  led them to a rest area they had constructed. There they found wooden tables and chairs, a few water trailers with spickets and hoses to drink out of, and a grill where a few Marines were preparing a meal for their sentry. The Marines themselves were courteous enough, as far as Natuk could tell. All considered, however, he believed that they behaved strangely, as he still subconsciously projected the anticipated mannerisms of Alerans instead.
    An Aleran legionnaire would shy back at a Canim's gaze, feeling as though they were being hunted by a superior predator. The Marine embraced Natuk's glances, and smiled; baring their teeth as they did so, which could be considered a challenge in Canim communication. Natuk was wise enough to know that these humans of course did not intend such gestures, but his impression was the same: The humans were confidant, and did not fear him as the Alerans did.
    Natuk took a seat with Spetz and his Raiders sat themselves all round the campground and began to consume their provided lunch, an assortment of 'classic American favorites,' as Spetz put it. It consisted of items such as  hamburgers, hotdogs, and pulled pork sandwiches. While the meal was just as tasteful as AAF meatfruit, Natuk found that the portion sizes were a bit small.
    "I'm going to have to get some more." Natuk admitted to Spetz. "These humans must be unaware of the Canim appetite."
    "You aren't the only one." Spetz replied with a smile. "When I was in New York, in America, everytime I went to a restaurant I had to order two supersize meals, just for myself. I'm convinced it is a scam to try to extort as much money as possible from the AAF. You've only just joined the struggle."
    "How unfortunate." Natuk responded. He stood, and returned to the grill for another round. Most of his raiders had already been through the line, so there were only of couple of Canim in the queue. It was soon his turn, and the Marine handling the grill greeted Natuk with a charismatic, but entirely foreign and incomprehendable welcome. "I will have two of the hamburgers this time, if you don't mind." Natuk replied.
    "Hamburger?" The Marine clarified.
    "Yes." Natuk affirmed, with an Aleran head nod.
    "Mmmhmm." The Marine understood, and prepared a plate with a singular hamburger.
    "Can I have another?" Natuk asked. After all, he wanted, and had asked for, two.
    "Huh?" The human did not understand.
    "Two hamburgers?" Natuk tried again.
    "Burger." The Marine restated. Natuk quickly realised this approach was not working. It was time for drastic measures.
    "Burger Burger." Natuk asserted. After a moment, the man's face lit up with sudden comprehension. He then returned to the grill and prepared Natuk a second hamburger, while likely saying the human equivalent of 'why didn't you say so earlier?'
    Satisfied and grateful, Natuk returned to the table he and Spetz had been seated at, but found that they were no longer alone. A small group of the Marines had also seated themselves at that table, seemingly awaiting his return. There were five of them in total. Four males, ranging from five ten to six feet tall and well built,  and one female, put generously at five six. It was an unusual encounter to Natuk. In all the ranges in Canea, none of them allowed a female to fight as a warrior. Natuk approached with a small bit more caution that he would normally carry, and spoke to Spetz before he sat down.
    "Do they need something from me?" Natuk asked.
    "No. One of them told me they want something from you, but they wouldn't say more until you returned." Spetz answered.
    "So, I will have a choice in the matter?" Natuk clarified.
    "Presumably." Spetz responded, before motioning Natuk to stop worrying. "Go on, have a seat. After all, they don't bite!" Natuk grumbled at the remark, but ultimately complied, returning to his seat, now surrounded by Marines.
    One of the humans, a woman, spoke to Spetz, and he translated.
    "She asks for your name." He said.
    "Natuk, Warrior of Narash." Natuk answered.
    "She wants to know if you would be willing to take a picture with them." Spetz translated the request.
    "A picture?" Natuk asked.
    "Yeah, like a portrait, but it only takes a second." Spetz clarified. Nasaug rolled his head. On one hand, there was no harm in a portrait. One the other, it was slightly embarrassing for a warrior of his stature to submit to the whim of Alerans. Or humans. Whatever they were.
    Nasaug sighed. "Very well, as long as it is quick." He replied.
    "I'll let them know." Spetz assured. After a short word informing the humans of Natuk's consent, the Marines closed in around him. They were uncomfortably close, brushing against his sides to take a group photograph. One even per his arm around Natuk's shoulders! A camera was handed off to Spetz, and he dutifully positioned himself as the photographer. He held a device, a rectangular box with a lens of some sort. Spetz looked through a small peephole on the back end, and audaciously instructed the Marines to close in even further. Satisfied, Spetz activated the device, and a bright flash emanated it's corner.
    "Is that it?" Natuk asked, quite done with the foolishness he had put up with already.
    "We've just got to see how the photo turns out." Spetz replied. A moment later, a small piece of what appeared to be paper slowly ejected out of the device with a whir. As he walked over to the crowd around Natuk, Spetz grabbed it, shook it a few times, and carefully observed it. "Looks good." He informed, handing it to the female Marine.
    She took a quick look at it, then turned it to show Natuk. He took a look at the curious little piece of paper for himself. A second later, before his very eyes, the image of a Canim warrior and six Marines appeared on the paper. It slowly blossomed with color and clarity in a strange but satisfying style.
    "That is fantastic!" Natuk exclaimed.
    "Sure, out of everything you've seen of the AAF, this little polaroid camera is what is fantastic!" Spetz joked as he printed out another paper.
    The female Marine placed a hand on Natuk's shoulder, and shook it gently to get his attention, and asked him a question.
    "She asks if you would like to keep it." Spetz translated for Natuk.
    "I certainly would!" Natuk answered. The human graciously handed Natuk the picture for him to cherish, as well as a small, transparent bin to secure and protect it in. Spetz gave the Marine another picture, a duplicate of the one Natuk had. Their mission now completed, the humans gave their farewell and left Natuk to finish his lunch. Spetz returned to his seat across from Natuk, and talked to him while he ate.
    "Well, what do you think?" He asked.
    "Of what?" Natuk replied.
    "The Marines." He gestured with his shoulder and head.
    "Well, I suppose they are what I would expect of Alerans, had I not been Canim." Natuk answered. "Perhaps a bit too welcoming, however. Do they suppress their instinct for survival in our presence?"
    "An interesting question." Spetz commendated. "I suppose it has to do with the humans not having to war with the Canim for untold centuries. They have no betters. In their eyes, they are at the top, and act as such." Spetz explained. "They will not fear you for fear's sake."
    "Perhaps they should." Natuk continued. "They would not want to act like they did to a Shuaran, if they wanted to keep their blood in the inside."
    "You may be right." Spetz admitted. "But perhaps the Shuarans, and I suppose all the other ranges as well, should be the ones fearing them."
    "And why is that?" Natuk asked.
    "Because, in the end, you are only fighting bigger, stronger, smarter, and most importantly, better equipped, Alerans." Spetz said. "In Alera, we spared you, in a way. We didn't attack to kill, when we certainly could have done so. I hardly think that they would have practised such restraint."
    "And I am supposed to be thankful of that?" Natuk asked rather harshly. "It is honorable to die in battle."
    "Battle, yes." Spetz agreed. "Slaughter? Not so much. And before you argue the point, that is what it would have been. Just pointless death and destruction. You wouldn't have gotten within a hundred meters of them on the attack. On the defense, you would cease to exist before you even saw a single Marine."
    "I know you are right." Natuk admitted. "I just wish it weren't so."
    "I understand." Spetz said. "Times certainly are changing for you."