Chapter 9

“Oh my god, Bec. What did I get myself into?” I ask my roommate as I frantically run around my room trying to find my other black wedge. Is it possible I left one of my shoes at home?

“You got yourself into a date with a hot musician,” she responds. “Check under the bed again.”

“Ugh!”

“We can go on double dates with our singer boyfriends and when they get famous all their fangirls will hate us,” she jokes, trying to lighten my nerves.

“Yes!” I exclaim when I find my other shoe tucked in the back of my closet. “And I think you’re getting a little too carried away,” I tell her, slipping my shoe on and taking a final look in the mirror. I take deep breath and mess with my hair.

“You look great,” she tells me, sounding like my mother. “Relax,” she continues, “you’ve already hung out with him a few times, you know he likes you, and you look hot.”

“Thanks,” I reply just as my phone buzzes. “He’s here.”

“Go have fun,” she tells me, handing me my purse with a smile.

>> 

“Hey, baby,” Harry greets me as I walk to his car. He’s leaning against the passenger door of his car, with one leg crossed over the other. He’s wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a navy button down shirt. Covering his brown mop is a black beanie that slouches perfectly.

“Hey,” I respond with a smile. Despite my nerves, I have to admit that the sight of Harry calms me down a bit. Although the situation makes me nervous, I’m comfortable around him, and instantly a little happier.

“I told you casual! You look too beautiful for my lame date idea,” he tells me, looking at me from head to toe, then back up to my eyes. Just this gives me butterflies. He opens his arms and I lean in for a quick hug in his muscular arms. I want it to last forever.

“I am casual,” I insist, as he opens the door for me. I slide into the car as he walks around and finds the driver’s seat.

“Ready?” he asks me, squeezing my hand, and then placing his on the steering wheel. I nod, and he begins to drive off.

>> 

“A beach?” I ask him as he pulls into a spot along the quiet boardwalk. “It’s way too cold to swim…”

“Don’t worry. No swimming necessary. Unless you want to,” he responds, winking at me and unclasping his seatbelt. I follow his lead and step out of the car. He pops the trunk of the Jeep and passes me a blanket. My curiosity begins to heighten. He reaches back into the vehicle and produces a bag of what looks like tupperware and a bottle of red wine. He looks at me with a smile, which fades quickly, “Shit. This is a stupid idea. We can just go to a restaurant or something.”

“No,” I smile back. “I’m curious, and excited.”

“You are?” he asks, his smile returning. I reassure him and he says, “Well, then, let’s go.”

We find a gate that leads us to the beach. There isn’t anyone else around, seeing as it’s early in the season still. It’s perfect weather, though, with a slight breeze and a clear sky. We choose a spot between the rock wall that blocks the road and the ocean. Harry and I lay the blanket down on the sand and sit facing towards the water. “I hope the food is still warm,” he says, rummaging through the bag.

He pulls out two containers of food, one for each of us, and two forks. “Do you like chicken parm?” he asks. “Shit, you’re not like a vegetarian or something, right? It’s not too late to call this quits and go to a restaurant,” he says nervously.