Chapter 7: Day One of Us

A week passed when Kurt was deemed mentally fit to return to school physically. The hum of a truck motor made him jump up from his dining room table, grinning.

"Kurt, text us if you need anything!" His mother called as he grabbed the Letterman jacket off the back of his chair, grabbing his bag, slipping on his shoes, and running out the door. He quickly slipped the jacket on, grinning at the boy waiting for him in the truck. Kurt ran over and opened the door, his eyes lighting up at the other.

"Heya, Kurt. You ready?" Ram asked, reaching over and holding Kurt's hand. Kurt intertwined their fingers and nodded.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Kurt said, his smile faltering slightly at the thought of it.

People staring.

People whispering.

People glaring.

People-

"Kurt, you're squeezing my hand really hard," Ram laughed, smiling at Kurt. Kurt blushed and pulled his hand away. 

"Sorry, Ram," Kurt giggled,  still looking away.

The ride to school was full of conversation and flirting. As the truck pulled into the parking lot of Westerburg, Ram checked for onlookers as he parked before quickly pecking Kurt's cheek. Kurt's face turned as red as the Letterman jacket around him. "R-raaaam..." Kurt whined, covering his face. Ram chuckled, shutting off the truck. The two climbed out, Kurt still a blushing mess.

"Kurt! You're okay! Oh my god!" A voice yelled and Kurt looked in the direction of it. Veronica and Martha were running towards him, both very clearly happy but worried. They completely ignored Ram as they began to talk to Kurt.

"Oh my goodness, we heard what happened are you alright?" Martha started quickly, grabbing onto Kurt's hands while Veronica circled him, checking him for anything.

"Guys, I'm fine, really, I am-" Kurt began.

"Sweeney, huh?" Veronica had stopped behind him, staring at his back. Kurt's breath hitched and he looked back at Veronica, who had turned her attention to Ram. She began to yell and scream at him, backing him against the truck.

"W-woah! 'Ronica, calm down!" Kurt gasped, grabbing her arms and pulling her away.

"This asshole was the reason you sent us the text, right?! Let me at 'im, Kurt! Let me at 'im!" Veronica yelled, pulling against Kurt's grip.

"Veronica, calm down!" Kurt yelled as Martha hurriedly began to help Kurt. While all of this occurred, Ram stared.

I thought I was the only one he texted.
Then again, the Heathers and Veronica were at his party that night and Veronica was busy flirting drunkenly with McNamara. 
And Martha was probably busy with homework or was watching a movie.

"I came to his rescue..." Ram muttered, looking at Veronica with slight distaste.

"What?" Veronica growled, glaring at him.

"I stopped him from jumping that night, so you can back off!" Ram yelled, glaring back.

Kurt watched his boyfriend and his best friend fight. Martha was at a loss for words, so she wasn't much help.

"Okay, that is enough! Both of you!" Kurt yelled, making the two stop arguing.

"Veronica, Ram did leave his party to save my ass on the bridge! And Ram, I understand you're protecting me because you're my boyfriend but you don't need to-"

"WhaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!" Martha gasped. 

Kurt quickly realized what he had said and covered his mouth. Veronica was staring Kurt, her eyes wide and her mouth open.