Chapter 11: Senior Year

Ram's alarm woke him from his dream.

He groaned and reached towards his phone, trying to shut it off.

The dream had already faded from his mind.

When he heard his phone drop to the floor, he finally sat up and rubbed his eyes. The early morning sunlight peeked through his gray curtains.

He had always hated getting up for school.

Ram got up, shut off his alarm, and set his phone back on his nightstand.

Ram went to his chest of drawers, grabbing a pair of briefs, a pair of jeans, a white t-shirt with Westerberg's High School's logo, and walked towards his bathroom, yawning.

He took a quick shower, dried off, and got dressed. He walked back to his bedroom and slipped on socks. He grabbed his lettermen jacket, put it on, then walked downstairs.

His mother stood in the kitchen, cooking breakfast. His father sat at the table, sipping his coffee, reading the newspaper.

August 15th, 2017.

Ram sat at the table.

"Good morning, Ram," his mother chirped from where she stood by the stove. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yep," Ram responded, resting his elbows on the table and his chin on his hands, closing his eyes. "Ma, I might just grab breakfast at school. I gotta go get Kurt."

"I'm almost done," his mother said, turning to look at him. "You'll be fine."

Ram sighed, opening his eyes again.

"Damn, I forgot my phone upstairs," Ram got up and headed upstairs, going to his room.

He grabbed his phone, took it off its charger, and looked at his notifications.

Twitter.

Instagram.

Snapchat.

Messages.

Nothing new.

He pocketed his phone and headed back downstairs.

"Really ma, I gotta go," Ram walked towards the door, putting on his shoes, and grabbing his truck keys. "See ya!"

Ram grabbed his backpack and headed out to his truck. He tossed his backpack in the bed of the truck before climbing in the cab.

Kurt was in the mudroom of his house, leaning against the wall.

"Kurt, I know Ram skipped out on breakfast, please give him one of my muffins," Kurt's mother approached, the chocolate-chip, banana muffins in a Tupperware.

"Okay," Kurt said, grabbing the container.

The roar of Ram's truck's engine caught Kurt's attention. He kissed his mother's cheek and headed out. He vaulted into the bed of the truck and knocked on the back windsheild.

It opened.

"Hey, Ram!" He yelled as Ram took off.

"Hello!" Ram responded, his grin showing the rear view mirror. "You ready for senior year?!"

"Hell yeah, I am!" Kurt yelled back, pulling the airhorn out of his backpack.

Ram and Kurt sat in Ram's bedroom, working on homework.

"Seriously, Ram," Kurt suddenly said, looking at him. "I don't understand how you can concetrate in this mess."

"You get used to it," Ram shrugged, a stupid grin on his face.

Kurt sighed and shook his head, getting up.

"I'll be right back," Kurt said and disappeared out of the room.

Ram looked to Kurt's homework.

Kurt was almost done with the third page of the Pre-Calc homework.

He was so smart.

Kurt returned with a black trash bag.

"What ch'ya doin', Kurt?" Ram asked, watching him.

Kurt silently began picking up the trash in Ram's room.

At one point, Kurt had bent over to grab a few beer cans from the floor.

Ram found himself staring at Kurt's ass.

He blushed deeply and looked away.

Kurt finally sat back down after about 5 minutes and got to work on the homework again.

Kurt looked up from his homework to Ram, who was looking away, his face bright red.

"You good, dude?" Kurt asked, raising an eyebrow at Ram.

Ram choked on air and sputtered before nodding.

"Yep, totally fine!" Ram responded, an awkward grin on his face.

Kurt blinked at him a few times before shrugging and going back to his homework.

There was silence one more, except for the sound of pencils scratching on paper.

Kurt walked home quietly, his hands shoved in his jean pockets, huddled into his letterman jacket.

His thoughts swam with questions about why Ram had been blushing.

He yawned as he made his way up the walkway towards his house.

He headed to bed.

He fell asleep, his thoughts focused on Ram.