A Flower On Her Grave - II ✔️

October of 2018

I feel their hands unwrapping the cloth from my body as I'm finally out of radiation therapy.

I feel really tired and my anxiety is through the roof. I feel like I'm going to explode and cry. I don't cry though. My dad has smacked me enough to teach me crying is not ok.

"Astrid!" I exclaim as she comes over to my side.

"Wise idea. I'm a little radioactive at the moment," I say laughing.

She starts crying near my side with a smile, "You don't know how much I miss you. It's going to be alright. You'll get your treatment to be cancer-free. Then we can party all night long." She takes my hand in hers as we gently hug.

"You know I'll always be here for you," she says.

"Thank you, sis. How old are you?" I ask while shaking

"Oh no! You don't remember my age. Are you ok?" she says worriedly.

She starts freaking out as I give her a small punch in the shoulder.

"Haha! I'm just messing with you," I say.

"Hmmm, tell me something about myself that you'd remember," she commands.

"Astrid Indigo is currently a nineteen-year-old born April 3 of 1999. She loves space, her favorite animal is a turtle, her least favorite are most species of birds and fish, and she wants to study astronomy. She loves vegetables, protein, and pretty much everything healthy. You hate sugary things except for the exception of homemade expensive deserts one in a while. You have a boyfriend who you think should stop traveling without you, but he says you don't ever go with him because of college," I say.

"What's my favorite color?" she asks with an eyebrow raised.

"Boysenberry," I respond.

"Curse you. You know more about me than my friends," Astrid sighs.

"You're sad because I know you," I say laughing.

"Yes. You can predict me," she says.

"Yes, I can. I know that you have a present for me," I say with a smile.

"You're greedy," she retorts pulling out a gift bag.

I pull out the tissue paper to find a black box. I open it up to find a locket. It's a six-point star locket. At each point are the people I love- Ophelia, Archer, Galaxy, Leo, Lynn, and Cassie on the points and Astrid's picture in the middle. On the other side of the star is mom before the cancer when she was young and beautiful. Her beautiful eyes are like a sparkling diamond and her hair is long and brunette.

"It's so... Thank you!" I say hugging Astrid.

"Make sure you open up the rest of your present now. And no crying today," she says laughing.

"I won't cry," I say as I reach my hand into the rest of the bag.

I pull out a purse made from my sister's fashion brand. Miss Lady. The purse is a delicate black leather with a light brown and reddish snakeskin design over the top. The inside is a burgundy silk line with black lace and it has credit card slots and another zipper.

"That one is worth about three thousand dollars. It's one of the rarer ones to find," she says.

"Wow! It does look like something I'd wear with a tank, jeans, and flannel," I respond holding it up in the light.

"Yeah, you wear the same style pretty much everyday," she says laughing.

"Well, that's how I blend in. Did you know that smarter people often wear the same style? That's why nerdy people may stick to a simple shirt and the same style of shorts maybe. Or they may wear a uniform," I say.