Moving Forward

"Mia" Damien whispered as he stepped through the front door.

He'd just arrived home and he wasn't sure if Mia was still awake, considering that it was almost 1am.

He slipped his shoes off and walked up the stairs, trying to make his footsteps light, although it was rather difficult considering his size.

Damien began unbuckling his belt before he entered the room, too impatient to wait to undress.

He was exhausted. The threat to his business was taking a toll on him and he was the last one to admit any weaknesses, but this appeared to be one.

Seeing Mia safe and clothed in one of his T-shirts instantly sent a surge of electricity down his spine like he'd just taken an alcoholic shot of some sort.

She looked content and he had to smile at the fact that he was the one that made her so.

Damien removed the rest of his clothes, minus his boxers, before carefully slipping under the sheets and letting out a tired sigh.

He turned on his side and brought Mia into his chest before taking a whiff of her hair and kissing the top of her head.

"Goodnight." He mumbled; his words slurred with sleep as he began to drift into nothingness.

~

Mia had awoken in Damien's arms, a position she had grown fond of in the time that she's been with him.

Her eyes stung at the thought of her childhood home. The memories that were once joyous would now leave a bad taste in the back of her mouth due to the tattered relationship with her previous caregiver.

Mia shifted in Damien's arms, trying to rid her mind of those thoughts and bring herself back to the present.

She wanted to think about the now. The now was good.

Her head nodded in agreement with herself and she brushed some blonde strands away from her face before freezing when she heard running water sound from downstairs.

She waited a bit to make sure that it wasn't a broken pipe or something else that would be explainable but when the sound stopped and the clinking of a glass replaced it, the girl whimpered and shook the large arm that could protect her when needed.

Scared tears started to gather in her eyes when she heard footsteps make their way up the stairs and she called him in fear.

"Damien" She whispered frantically, her eyes flickering between him and the door.

Damien's eyes opened slowly, and he groaned before realizing that Mia was crying, and her body language was skittish and frantic.

"What's wrong baby?" He questioned; his voice laced in sleep.

Mia tightened herself in his arms and stuttered.

"T-there's someone here."

Damien furrowed his brows and opened his mouth to question her before his bedroom door was thrown open.

"Damien I'm g-"

Liam's eyes widened and he looked between the two in alarm before cooling his expressing and mouthing "oops".

Damien's eyes were ablaze in fury and he sat up, blocking Mia from his line of sight.

"Get out."

His words were dripping in authority and Mia found even herself flinching at his tone.

Liam backed out and closed the door before yelling a short "sorry", his footsteps sounding as he retreated back downstairs.

"I'm sorry he scared you baby." He frowned as he kissed her hair.