Lolita

Mia's mouth was open in shock at what had just happened.

Silent tears flowed down her cheeks as walked behind Damien absentmindedly. She was overwhelmed with the realization that she was walking away from the only home she'd ever known—the only caretaker, the only mother, she'd ever had.

The scene kept replaying in her head and she sobbed painfully as she remembered the look of disgust Andra held towards her.

What can I do to make this better? H-how can I fix this?

Her thoughts were jumbled and desperate, working on overdrive to come up with ways that she could restore her relationship with the only person that's ever cared for her.

Her words hurt, yes, but she didn't want an argument and a few crude remarks to distance them forever.

A soothing touch caused her to flinch, the sensation unexpected.

She looked up at Damien with red eyes and her lip trembled as she recalled his words to Andra.

"W-why would you say that?" She cried. He had basically threatened the woman and had promised that harm would fall unto her if she ever reached out to Mia again.

Damien furrowed his brows and his jaw ticked, slightly annoyed that his actions were being questioned, especially when he wasn't the one who was defaming her.

"Baby, she was disrespecting you. No matter who it is I will not tolerate that." He replied justly.

Mia's bottom lip wobbled, and more tears wet her chubby cheeks.

"She hates me." Mia whispered brokenly.

She didn't react when she was placed in the car. Her body was numb to the world around her.

Damien went to kiss the crown of her head, but she flinched back and whimpered.

"You made it worse"

Damien stared at her for a minute before slamming the door shut and banging his fist on the roof of the car.

"Fuck!" He yelled in frustration.

Mia jumped in her seat, startled at his outburst. A heavy weight settled on her chest, feeling responsible for his sudden anger. She felt guilty.

As he opened the door, she nibbled on her bottom lip anxiously.

"I-I'm sorry, Damien, I didn't mean that." She whispered remorsefully.

She looked down and played with her fingers while trying to come up with words to explain herself.

"Andra was the openly person who actually liked me. S-she took care of me a-and raised me and now she thinks that I'm some whore." Her voice wobbled and broke as she spoke.

Damien's eyes softened at her sullen expression and he sighed.

"Mia." He called.

She sniffled and looked up at him and he resisted the urge to smile at the sight of her cute nose bunching up repeatedly.

"I'm not going to apologize for putting that bi—her in her place. The things she said to you...no parent should ever say that to their child. You are not some whore."

He took her small hands in his large ones and looked in her eyes.

"I know that you have a relationship with her. But it's not healthy for you to be treated that way. She doesn't like me. And as long as I'm in the picture things aren't going to be the same between you two "

Mia sucked in her cheeks and nodded reluctantly, while slipping her hands out of his hold.

"I understand." She replied softly.