Darling 7

Senior year of high school, December 25th.

"Matvey?" Ivan held a small box in his hand, awaiting his friend to return to his locker. "Matthew?" Ivan called out once again.

"Who are you?" Matthew raised an eyebrow.

"Ivan," Ivan handed Matthew the neatly wrapped box. "We sit next to each other in every class."

"Sorry." Matthew reluctantly received the small gift. "What's this for?"

"Just a little something." Ivan watched Matthew untie the beauteous ribbons he hand-picked. Matthew gasped at the small polar bear plush lying on a velour cushion. "I hoped you liked bears as much as I do."

"Thank you, Ivan." Matthew held the small bear against his chest. "But why me?"

"You're a special person." Ivan gently rubbed his scarf. "Don't lose it."

----

6 am December 23rd, Wednesday.

Matthew's eyes slowly opened, his cushiony bed was unusually warm that morning. Kumajirou was tranquil and quiet; he was lying comfortably at the foot of Matthew's bed. Matthew noticed the time, his alarm quietly started to ring. He gently reached his arm out to turn it off, but Ivan reached over him and stopped the alarm.

Ivan was sitting next to Matthew on his bed, holding a small velour bear, still snowy white. Ivan placed the bear in Matthew's arms. The bear's fur was nebulous, and it brushed against Matthew's skin gently with its small size.

"Do you remember who gave you that bear?" Ivan asked in a mellifluent whisper.

"It was before I lost my memory, I think." Matthew held the bear close to his chest. "I don't remember. I do remember that I was special to them."

"Very special." Ivan placed his hand over his heart. "Do you get Christmas 'eve-eve' off? We could go out today."

"I don't believe so." Matthew sat up. "Do you?"

"I could call in sick." Ivan situated himself closer to Matthew. "And so could you."

Matthew blushed while texting Feliciano and Lovino he was too sick to work that day. Ivan called his boss while speaking in Russian. Matthew observed the snow falling onto his home, the ice crept along the window. Ivan gently wrapped a scarf around Matthew.

"It's cold today," Ivan whispered. "You should wear a scarf."

"Oui, chéri." Matthew ran his hands through the knitted arrangement.

"I looked up that word." Ivan adjusted his scarf. "It means darling, da?"

"Should I learn something Russian, then?" Matthew joked. "Maybe I should learn darling too."

"Of course." Ivan made his way to Matthew's kitchen, giving Matthew an opportunity to be alone.

Matthew peered at his stuffed bear, wondering who he received it from. He knew he didn't forget because of apathy, he wanted to inculpate his feelings. Something was voided inside his mind and trying to remember would be trivial. Ivan had a familiar, sanctuary-like aura.

Ivan, who was looking through Matthew's alcohol supply, found an empty bottle sheltering a rolled up paper. Ivan reached his hand around the dusty bottle. The lot dust and stiffness of the lid proved it hadn't been open in years. Ivan opened the bottle and slipped the flimsy paper out. He gently unraveled the scroll, its texture resembling his nodose hands. It was a picture of him and Matthew on the last day of their senior year, Matthew's bandages were apparent. The back of the photo had 'My darling, Ivan' written in black marker. Mattew had most likely forgotten about the photo, which was a liable reason as to why he couldn't remember Ivan. The bottle was tucked away among various boxes that had yet to be unpacked.