Chapter Five

Vernon storms into the library his face furious and red from rage.

"Why is that door closed?"

When no one says anything and just stares at Vernon, he asks again.

"Why is that door closed?"

Bender speaks up when no one else does his arm still on the back of Teigan's chair.

"How're we s'posed to know? We're not s'posed to move, right?" Asks Bender while Teigan suppresses a smirk.

Vernon turns to Claire, who Teigan thought for sure would rat them out.

"Why"

" We were just sitting here, like we were s'posed to..." says Claire to an angered Vernon. Teigan looks at Claire in surprise that she didn't tell Vernon on them.

Vernon turns to Bender and Teigan looking at both of them  in turn before focusing his gaze on Teigan.

"Who closed that door?" He asked her making her sit up slightly.

"It a pretty old door sir, I think a screw just fell out." She said in a serious tone making Vernon marrow his eyes at her, before he could say anything else, Andrew spoke up.

"It just closed, Sir..."

Vernon looked at Allison at the back of the room, the other students following his gaze.

"Who?"

Allison squeaked in fright before slamming her head on the table and pulling up her hood.

Bender looked at Vernon, "She doesn't talk, Sir"

Vernon looked back at Teigan and Bender the former now leaning back in her chair.

"Give me that screw.." Said Vernon looking at Bender.

"I don't have it..."

Bender looked at Teigan who smirked at him.

"Avery, stand up, stand up"

Teigan looked at Vernon not standing.

"Why the hell do I need to stand up" she asked eyebrows raised as if challenging him. Vernon's right eye twitched before he walked up to the table.

"That's another detention for disrespecting authority, now stand up"

Teigan rolled her eyes and stood out of her chair.

"Now, you want me to shake it out of you or are you going to give it to me" asked Vernon.

Teigan looked at Vernon before smirking, " I don't have it"

Teigan took Vernon's quietness as a sign to sit back down, Vernon turned his attention on to Bender.

"You want me to yank you outta that seat and shake it out of you" asked Vernon pointing at Bender.

"Maybe he doesn't have it, screws fall out all the time the world is an imperfect place after all..." Said Teigan before playing with her boot lace.

"Excuse me, sir, why would anybody want to steal a screw?" Asks Claire making Vernon look at her and point at her.

"Watch it young lady"

Vernon goes over to the door and tries to use a fold up chair to keep it open.

"The doors way to heavy, Sir"

As Bender says this the door slams shut with Vernon on the outside of it.

"God damnit"

The kids in the library laugh at Vernon as he opens the door and walks back inside.