15: How I Really Live

Beep

Beep

Beep

  You groaned slightly as your eyes focused. A heart monitor was beeping consistently, and the smell of antibiotics hung in the air, not strong enough to make someone sick, but enough to be easily noticeable. You started taking deeper breaths as you sat up. You felt nothing as you did so. No pain, no weariness, nothing. You looked at your arm, where several tubes were poked into your arm. You looked at your lap to see a hospital gown.

  'I... I survived.' Was the first thought to enter your head. You put a hand to your head, only to feel hard plastic. You drew your arm back, looking at your left hand, which was bandaged. Looking around your body, you found several bandages, some simple bandaids, some gauze. You pulled at whatever was on your face, taking it off and looking at it.

  An eyepatch. You pressed a hand to your head and felt your left eyelid. When you tried to open it, it didn't do anything, so you lifted it manually, before pausing, then feeling inside your eye socket. It was stuffed with cotton. You put the eyepatch back on, looking around. Several balloons were hung up, with generic messages such as Get Well Soon and Be Happy. You looked around some more to see a remote, with labeled buttons. Some were obviously for the chair, probably acting like a recliner, and others were a bit more discreet. You put the remote back and looked around more.

  To your right sat a basket, filled with fruits, flowers, and other gifts. In front of it lay a card, which you picked up. It was blank on the outside, so you opened it, where loopy handwriting spelled out a message.

Y/n
If you're reading this, I'm away from the hospital, and probably at school. The police have gone through your home, and arrested your parents. I don't know what kind of messed up stuff they were doing to you, but it's over. This is my third time rewriting this letter, once every day, and right now, you've gotten into national news. I didn't know how they got the scoop about your life, but you're famous! Yay. Anyways, hopefully, I'll be able to see you soon. Look forward to it, will ya?

Lots of love,
Ivy

  You put the card back, before looking up at the ceiling. You were in the hospital, no surprise there. You looked around at the floor, trying to see any other things in the room, and noticed a large amount of boxes laying on the ground. Even from here, you could see several postal stamps and your name on the boxes. So when Ivy said you were popular, she didn't mean people were mailing you stuff.

  You looked up as the door opened, revealing a nurse. She shut the door behind her, sighed, and turned to see you staring at her, freezing like a deer caught in headlights.

  "You're awake." She stated, almost sounding surprised. She cleared her throat.

  "Anyways, all your checkups have already been done, but several people wish to see you. Visiting hours are in 30 minutes, so if you need anything, I suggest you ask for it now." She stated, going off like a robot. She waited for a response from you. You took a deep breath, before speaking quietly.

  "Can I... have something to eat?"

  The next few days passed without a hitch, unless you count government officials as a hitch. You were visited by news reporters, police officers, Child Protective Services, and most importantly, Ivy. Your reunion was... hard to describe. She was happy, but couldn't help bawling her eyes out when you greeted her. It was a rather wild experience.