6 - THE WAITING GAME

ANGIE PANTED HEAVILY, sitting up on her bed. She ran a shaking hand through her hair trying to gather her wits. She'd had the dream again. And this time had been even more vivid than all the times before.

A few tears of frustration were pearling from the corner of her eyes. She wiped them out feverishly.

This was cruel. Just cruel.

She lost her baby. Her daughter. And yet that dream just wouldn't leave her alone. She still had to see the blurry figure of that little girl walking up to her; reminding her of what could have been if her daughter had a chance.

But what did it mean? It couldn't be a premonition. Her baby was gone. That little girl would never exist. So why was she still haunted by these ghosts?

Angie went to splash cold water on her face, hoping to drown out all these questions. She had to shut it all out. There was only one thing to worry about right now and it was Thanos.

They had made the call and Steve, Natasha and the others were on their way to the Avengers Facility. As they were waiting, Bruce had practically forced her to get some rest which is how she ended up having that dream again. Ironically she felt more drained out than ever before.

Waiting for her old friends to show up proved to be the most unnerving part of Angie's whole plan. They were joined by Rhodey who got caught up on the situation and soon, the four of them were left to play the waiting game.

Angie shifted through news reports covering the attack of Thanos' Children. The broadcasts were replaying blurry footage of the fight and she could tell Tony, Strange and Wong had been in way over their heads. She was surprised to find that Peter had joined them at one point, although the news report only knew him as Spiderman.

If this is what it was like fighting Thanos' Children, what would it be like fighting The Mad Titan himself?

"Billionaire Tony Stark was last seen on Bleecker Street. His disappearance has been attributed to—"

The TV screen suddenly went to black. Angie's head snapped to find Rhodey holding the remote.

"Don't do this to yourself," he told Angie, taking a seat next to her.

He could tell she was boiling internally. Anyone could. Her stomach was churning with worry but it was this wait that made her so irritable. Every minute they wasted was another minute Tony and Peter got further from Earth. She had no idea where to go or what to do to get them back, but one thing was for sure, she wasn't giving up.

Peter was just a kid. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that fight to begin with. And Tony... Tony was the only one she had left. She refused to lose him too.

As if on cue, the doors to the Avengers HQ burst open at that moment. Bruce, Vika, Rhodey and herself perked up at the sound.

The tension in Angie's shoulders relaxed ever so slightly as she watched Steve and Natasha finally enter the room.

"Angie!" Natasha exclaimed rushing up to her old friend.

The two women hugged for a long time. It felt surreal to finally see her again. They had been in contact this whole year but the last time they'd actually seen each other was almost six years ago. Natasha now had short blonde hair to hide her fiery red mane, which she guessed came with living under the radar. Angie knew a little something about hiding her identity, although nothing this drastic.

Natasha, Steve, Sam, Wanda, Vision... Angie's eyes scanned the group of ex-Avengers as she greeted every single one. Clearly, a lot had changed.