21 - REVENANT

THE BATTLE HAD BEEN raging for hours. Angie could barely make out the bodies around her anymore. She had picked up some cuts and bruises here and there, nothing too worrying. But her breath was now coming out in short huffs. She didn't know how long she could keep this up.

Angie had barely been able to fend off one of Thanos' tank-sized hideous monsters that a legion of soldiers in white armors surrounded her. She fought as much as she could but she was getting smacked down from all sides. A shot of blaster landed on the side of her leg making her scream.

Angie tried to find a way to escape the ambush but all she could see around here were white uniforms. She was trapped.

"Leave her to me," a voice thundered.

Angie's eyes narrowed, squinting through her blurry vision. She saw a dark figure walking through the wall of soldiers in white uniform. The Harpy had a hard time making out the features of his face but it was only when her eyes focused on his hair — a very distinct color, somewhere between orange and brassy blonde — that she recognised him.

"Polak...?" she exclaimed with a gasp.

"Good. So you do remember me," he sneered.

Polak had been the second-in-command of Fenrir's troops. He had come to Earth with Angie's brother the year before. After Fenrir was killed, Polak had taken over the control of the army and left Earth with the remainder of their soldiers.

Polak bent down to be at eye level with Angie who had been disarmed and pinned to the ground. His eyes shone with the dangerous fire of someone who had the upper hand and was perfectly aware of it.

"You made a mockery of my troops," Polak grabbed her jaw harshly "You made a mockery of me. Do you know what it was like explaining to Thanos that two insignificant vermin of Earth killed his favorite General? You're going to pay for that humiliation."

Angie struggled against the soldiers holding her arms behind her back but she couldn't free herself. She jerked her head to the side, forcing Polak to let go of her jaw "It's taking you, what, seven men to hold me down? And you still think you didn't deserve that humiliation?! Make this an even fight if you want your pride back, coward!"

Polak stared her down for a moment before a smirk widened on his face "Very well. Let her go," he ordered and the soldiers released their hold on Angie.

"You want an even fight, Harpy? You will have one," he pulled a long blade from his holster and stood in battle stance.

Angie wiped the blood pearling from her mouth and unsheathed her sword "You talk too much, subordinate."

Angie's insult clearly had the desired effect as Polak's face melted into an expression of pure contempt. He bolted forward and a rabid fight ensued.

Polak had a clear advantage in that his soldiers had been doing all of the work so far while Angie had been fighting for hours prior to this. Nevertheless, it had come to the point where they were both rolling across the floor, trying to get as many hits in as possible. She managed to straddle him, using the shaft of his own blade to press on his windpipe.

Polak's jaw clenched as he used all his strength to fend her off. Without losing a second, he grabbed her by the throat and hurled her to the floor. Angie thought she was going to black out from the impact of her head against the hard ground but she only got out with a nauseating dizziness that lasted a few seconds.

Polak twisted his blade so the edge would be pointed right towards Angie's throat. Angie lied back limply, wondering if this was how she was meant to die. She braced herself for the stab... but suddenly, Polak's weight was knocked off her.