Chapter Four

Chapter Four

*Anna*

It felt so good to be back. The small wood cabin is exactly how I remembered it. The cabin had two over grown bushes growing on either sides of the door.

“Wow, this is… nice,” Julie stated beside me.

“Oh don’t be a pessimist. This is going to be the best summer of your life,” I said nudging her with my shoulder.

“Well I’m a city girl. It might be amazing for you, but for me? Not so much,” she said.

“Urg, just come on! Once you see the town you’ll fall in love,” I told her.

Chris slinked into the cabin moodily, pulling his suitcase along the cracked path.

“Your brother is pretty hot,” Julie mumbled.

“Oh please do NOT hit on my brother while we are here. One, eww. Two, too young for you. Three, major infraction of girl code. And four, eww,” I said.

“Hey, don’t get all worked up I’m not hitting on your lil’ bro. I was just admiring the view,” she laughed.

“Gag,” I said and went into the cabin.

I took a look around; everything was exactly how we had left it, clear down to the recliner that Chris had knocked over on our way out last summer.

“Hey the rooms are this way,” I yelled to Julie.

“'Kay! On my way,” she yelled back.

When I got to the room plunked all my stuff on the ground and sat down on the mattress. The room smelled like dust, but I still loved it.

“Uhg, ga it smells like dust,” Julie stated when she got in the room.

I rolled my eyes at her and stood up.

“Will you help me get sheets and stuff put on?” I asked.

“Okay,” she agreed reluctantly.

I walked into the living area and saw Mom zonked out on the couch.

“Hey Mom! Where is the bedding and stuff for our rooms?” I asked.

“Trunk of the van,” she mumbled almost asleep.

“Thanks. You should go take a nap,” I laughed.

I ran outside to the van and grabbed the quilts and blankets. When I got back into our room Julie was holding up her cell phone to the window mumbling, “Come on, come on,” over and over.

“I think you are going to have to learn to live without it for the summer, because we have never had a good signal out here,” I said.

She gave me a horrified expression and I shrugged.

“I got the blankets,” I plopped them down on the mattress.

She came over and helped me pull the sheets and blankets onto the bed.

“Uhh, where am I sleeping?” she asked.

I smiled, “There’s an air mattress in the closet,”

She gave me a that-is-so-not-happening look and I sighed. “Fine, I’ll take the air mattress and you can have the bed,”

“Great,” she said satisfied. “Let’s go into town,” she said all the sudden.

“I was kinda hoping we could get settled in first but, I guess we can go now,” I said.

She smiled big and grabbed her purse from the heap of her things on the floor. I grabbed my shoulder bag and followed her out of the door.