Chapter 3 • Trusty Mate

I don't think I've ever woken up with such a big smile on my face before. My blind date with Harry last night went better than I imagined it would and I've had to remind myself that 'soon' doesn't exactly mean 'as soon as possible' in the dating world.

Luckily for me, my mind has been preoccupied with meeting my parents for our monthly lunch and the closer I get to the address, the more my stomach begins to churn in nervous anticipation.

I tap on the brake pedal to gradually come to a stop outside the gate, simultaneously pressing the button to roll my window down. After I punch in the code, the gate retracts to the side and pull inside.

After I park in the front, I grab the bottle of Chardonnay and get out of my car. I fluff my hair with my hand to give it some bounce and I'm sure my casual outfit consisting of jeans, a blue blouse and a gray knit sweater will no doubt fall short of my mum's standards and I feel a smirk tease my lips.

The gravel crunches beneath my shoes as I walk up the steps to the door and my nerves try to get the best of me. Exhaling a sharp breath, I press the doorbell and wait.

"It's just lunch," I quietly remind myself, looking through the decorative oval-shaped glass at her figure coming closer and she opens the door.

"Ah, hello there, Ms. Jenning. Don't you look lovely?"

"You're too kind, Martha," I bashfully say, stepping inside to the grand foyer. "It's good to see you. How are you today?"

"I'm well, love. And you?"

"I'm well, also."

"Splendid. Your parents are in the sitting room waiting for you. Why don't you join them and I'll fetch you when lunch is ready."

"Can I help you with anything?"

"No, dear. Go spend time with your parents," she kindly shews me.

Forcing a smile, I nod in acknowledgment and turn on the heels of my boots to walk down the hallway that's lined with picture frames of our family. I still find it odd that my individual photos stopped being displayed once I hit grade school, even though my mum has reassured me she means nothing by it.

Their voices become clearer as I round the corner of the sitting room filled with custom-designed overpriced furniture, along with the rest of the house, and I clear my throat.

"Hello," I quietly announce my presence and my mum looks over at me.

Dressed to the nine in her designer sundress and high heels that probably cost more than my rent, and her matching pearl necklace and earrings, she stands from the sofa and turns toward me in her petite figure. I ignore the distaste clear on her face as she eyes me from head to toe and it's like a switch flips and she turns on her perfect stay-at-home wife and mum act.

"Oh, Joy, it's so good to see you."

"You, too, Mum," I return the fake greeting and accept her hug, keeping my eyes open and I look over to see my dad get up from his leather wingback chair. I smile as he buttons his navy suit coat that compliments a white polo shirt underneath and his signature khaki trousers. "Hi, Dad."

"Hi, peanut," he smiles at the nickname he's called me ever since I can remember and he embraces me in a hug. "Good to see you."

"Good to see you, too," I honestly say, leaning back from our hug and I hold out the bottle of wine. "I brought this for you both."

"You didn't have to bring anything," Mum says, already taking the wine bottle and I wave off her fib as if it's nothing.

"Pardon me, but lunch is served on the patio."