14: Pals

Fred Andrews was known for his ability to make friends with anyone. Even the absolute worst of the worst never had a bad word to say about Fred.

That very next day, when Fred arrived at the Marbella, his expectation was that FP was going to be one of those difficult people to get along with. He was very wrong.

As he walks in to try to find him, he overhears a brunette woman yelling in frustration.

"Are you an idiot Carl? Do you really think these orchids made sense as table decor? I'm running a 5 star hotel, not a goddamn bed and breakfast!"

Fred watches the staffer hustle away, pulling the flowers off the table immediately. This brunette lady has to be the crazy wife who Hermione and Alice were talking about. 

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I might find FP Jones?"

She turns around quickly and has an irritated expression on her face at the mention of her husband, "Forsythe is at the cabana--no doubt getting chummy with our staff, though God knows why. It's not like they have feelings."

"Riiight. Okay, thank you!" Fred says as he hurries away. "What a witch," he thinks to himself. No wonder the girls were talking about her like that. 

He enters the cabana to find FP helping a blonde kid unload crates of alcohol behind the bar. 

"Hey there--I'm Fred Andrews, I'm here to work on the remodel?"

FP sets the last crate down and walks over to him with a smile, "Hey! Nice to meet you. FP Jones," he extends his hand friendly.

"My w--Gladys has the blueprints upstairs. If you give me a minute I'll be right down with them."

Fred nods, "Sure thing."

FP exits the cabana, leaving Fred to check out the hotel. Many guests were relaxing in the pool or chatting over drinks near the bar. He turns to his left to see Hermione bringing a tray of food to a table near where he was standing. When she turns, they make eye contact and he waves.

She smiles and hustles over towards him after tending to her table. Fred had to admit she looked really good in her waitress uniform, which was a tight teal dress. 

"Fred! Have you found anything out yet?"

He shakes his head, "Not from FP--but I met his lovely bride."

Hermione grimaces, "A real sweetheart, isn't she?" 

Fred chuckles slightly, "Yeah, definitely. Let's just say if they remake the Wizard of Oz, she'd be their first pick for the Wicked Witch of the West."

"I hope you can figure out if it was FP who went behind Alice's back or not. I know it wasn't," Hermione says firmly.

"I'll let you know if I find anything out. See you later," he says with a smile.

"Bye, Fred," Hermione says, rushing back into the kitchen to take care of her next order.

FP comes back shortly after, blueprints in hand. The two men pull up chairs at one of the vacant tables and FP starts explaining the plans they have. 

"Over here is where we want to pour the concrete for the spa. That's ultimately what we want done first and foremost."

"Spa, huh? That'll be a nice addition."

FP shrugs, "I guess. That's all Gladys's doing."

Fred feels like this may be his time to get some answers. "Your wife?"