Chapter Ten

I woke up the next morning and felt Andrew's smooth, bare chest against my back. His arm was curled loosely over my waist, and I could hear his even breathing with every rise and fall of his torso.

I closed my eyes and savored his closeness, reliving the events from the previous night. I was not very experienced in the bedroom. Reid and I had learned together, fumbling here and there until we found our own rhythm. We had the luxury of first love, where passion took precedence over experience.

But Andrew....

I bit my lip and smiled, squeezing my eyes shut tightly. The images were only in my mind, and yet I felt my face flush at the memories.

He had navigated my body as though it were an extension of his own, every touch perfectly placed and every kiss a meaningful prequel to his next motion.

I heard his deep sigh and I turned to face him as he awoke.

He opened those gorgeous blue eyes and smiled. His voice was raspy when he said, "Mornin'"

I looked at his face as though it were the first time I was seeing him. His strong jawline led down to the tiniest cleft in his chin. I ran my fingers down his collarbone, then his chest and again over to his tattoo.

"How long have you had this?" I asked.

"I got it as soon as I turned 18," he said, "to remember that time is precious. The rose is for my mom."

"I like it," I said, "I've always wanted a tattoo but I've been too scared to actually do it."

"I'll go with you if you want," he said. He ran his hand up and down my lower back as he spoke, and it was hard to concentrate on the conversation.

I debated whether I wanted to ask, but curiosity got the better of me. 

"I guess there have been quite a few before me, huh?" I said.

To my surprise, he lay back and laughed out loud. 

"Not where I thought this conversation was headed, but alright," he said, grinning at the ceiling, "Eh, no. You're the second, actually. The first was . . .  a mistake. We dated at USC and I found her with a friend one night when I went to surprise her for our one-year anniversary a bit early."

I lifted up to rest on my forearm and cocked an eyebrow at him.

"What?" he said.

"You don't have to lie to make me feel special or spare my emotions or whatever. I'm Ryan Rivers's sister. I know how it works for athletes."

He looked a little hurt, and I regretted my choice of words. "Not this athlete."

He turned on his side to look at me before saying, "I know I don't have to lie to make you feel special, Victoria. I wouldn't lie about that."

He reached up and tucked back a stray piece of my hair. I knew that he was telling the truth.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. That must have been tough," I said. 

I thought back to the phone conversation that I had walked up on, before our first date. 

"Is she the one you were talking to the other day? I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, I just overheard a bit."

He nodded. "She's been apologizing and trying to get me to meet with her since I moved. I told her we needed a clean break though. I won't put myself in the situation to be hurt again, and it made me realize that I never really knew her completely in the first place."

A sense of dread washed over me, and I closed my eyes to will it away. Of course she would want to fight to get him back. 

He lightly tilted my chin, and I met his eyes.