T w e n t y-n i n e

Be prepared, this chapter may be long and have some triggers. If you wish to scroll down to the bottom feel free to do so :)

Even though I just ate a hearty breakfast my aunt prepared, my stomach still aches and twists into knots as I get ready, apprehensive for the day's events. Jake—the amazing boyfriend he is—came over bright and early with a bouquet of tulips which are my favorite and an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts and is now currently hanging out with Tess in the living room. I can hear their voices carry down the hallway into my bathroom, but as to what they are saying I couldn't tell you.

Still, it's nice to have him here.

I must have chewed the inside of my cheek in my sleep, because the skin is ragged and sore and I have to remind myself to stop messing with it as I apply my eyeliner. In a few minutes I finish my makeup and begin to apply soft curls in my hair. When I'm done, I walk over to my closet and sigh because I really have no idea what I should wear.

Flipping through my clothes three separate times, I decide on a cute burgundy tunic that goes to my knees and is long sleeved and match it with a pair of black tights and slip on a pair of chocolate brown booties with a two-inch heel and hope that it is dressy enough for the hearing.

Grabbing my phone and wallet, I take the letter from my desk and neatly fold it before slipping it into one of my pockets. I'm about to look myself over in the mirror once more but decide against it as I hardly feel like myself today and am in a funky mood and I blame it on the nerves.

Inhaling, I leave my bedroom and head towards the living room where I see Jake and Tess are sitting on the couch waiting for me.

"Ready?" I ask, looking at the two of them. Tess looks lovely, her sun kissed hair pairing well with her green dress and flats. Jake, of course, looks handsome as always. His sky blue button down shirt fits him nicely and he has his sleeves rolled up. His chino pants are a darker Prussian blue and over all, he could easily pass for a male model.

They glance at each other and then back to me before standing up, nodding. "You look great," Tess says, giving me a quick hug.

"Thanks," I mutter and turn to Jake who gives me a soft smile.

"She's right Serena, you look beautiful," he tells me. In return, my smile is forced and I turn away from him, grabbing my navy blue button down coat that I hardly ever wear as it's too fancy for school.

Tess grabs her keys and we head outside and load up into her Murano. Soon we are headed towards downtown where the county court house is at and butterflies flit around my stomach with each mile that draws us closer. I try not to think about what will transpire and instead look out the window, watching the snow fall silently. It's a little after eight in the morning, signaling that first period has started about fifteen minutes ago and I find it strange that I'd rather be in pre-calc with Mr. Gallagher than headed downtown.

"Serena?" I hear Tess call out from my left and I tear my eyes away from the woman walking her dog down the sidewalk.

"Hmm?" I reply, oblivious to what she was saying.

"I asked if you slept okay last night. You seem...off," she says with a worried look as we stop at a red light. Jake is sitting directly behind me so I can't see his face, but if I know him as well as I think I do he is probably nodding his head in agreement.

Considering I spent most of the night either rewriting the letter, crying, watching Netflix to get my mind off things, and having nightmares about Tyler taking his revenge out on Jake, I'd say the answer is no. Obviously, I can't tell her this though so I only shrug a shoulder. "I got a few hours," I say as if it's no big deal.