Chapter Two

Marcel must have known that my curiosity was going to get the best of me, and he was right about that. I spent a good part of the night going over all the material he had given me, deepening my knowledge of the Mikaelson family. 

 My own firsthand experience with the family wasn't much to go on. I had met Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah Mikaelson nearly a century earlier when I was introduced to them by Marcel when he first brought me to New Orleans. All I could remember about them from that time was that I didn't like them. And then when they returned decades later, I had had nothing to do with them. Now that I had to hunt down Mikael, I figured as may as well read as much about them as I could get my hands on, and that apparently was everything Marcel had given me. 

 There wasn't much information and Mikael himself, or his late wife Esther. After the death of their youngest child Henrik, they had turned the whole family into vampires in their grief. Esther was gone now, having died more than once. Mikael was the one I had to concentrate on. There were no photographs of him, but there was a well-drawn sketch that gave me some idea of what he looked like. 

 Then there were all of their children. Freya Mikaelson was the oldest. Believed to have been dead for a thousand years, but had really spent all of that time under the thumb of her Aunt Dahlia, Esther's sister. Since her return, she had been doing whatever she could to save her siblings from whatever prophecy would have destroyed them. She had died by poison a year ago. 

 Next was the oldest son, who (coincidentally) was named Finn. Very close with his mother, didn't like being a vampire, had a strained relationship with his siblings due to them locking him up for nine hundred years, which I thought was very understandable. He was the first victim of Lucien Castle, whom had turned himself into the same powerful hybrid creature Marcel was now. 

 Third was Elijah, the 'noble brother'. I remembered him as being very caring and protective towards his siblings, but that had also led to the death of Davina Claire, the girl whom Marcel had thought of as a daughter. Elijah died by Marcel's poisonous bite, a bite that could even kill an Original. 

 Fourth was Klaus, the infamous Klaus Mikaelson. I had already heard many stories about him, and I didn't read much that I hadn't known already. Klaus was the only one whose whereabouts were known: Marcel locked him up. 

 Next was Kol, the youngest son. He was apparently a bit of a troublemaker, and had also died by Marcel's poisonous bite. I had never met him, so I couldn't say what sort of man he was. 

 And who could forget the beautiful Rebekah Mikaelson, youngest of the Originals? Not I, as she was once Marcel's lover. It didn't surprise that she was only one Marcel hadn't poisoned. He didn't have to; she already had a hex upon her that made her a vicious, bloodthirsty creature with no self-control. She was probably off wreaking havoc in some other part of the country. 

 After the deaths of the Mikaelsons, Hayley Marshall had fled the city with her young daughter Hope, the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson, and possibly with the bodies of the dead Mikaelson siblings. No one knew where she had gone. 

 "What a family!" I said out loud to myself. I was alone, since there was no one living there with me. The first floor was my office and the second floor was my apartment, and I typically didn't get visitors at one in the morning. 

 Reading about the Mikaelsons didn't help much at all. Mikael was the one I was supposed to be after, not anyone else, especially if most of them were dead. But it seemed Marcel thought I should deepen my knowledge of the entire family before I went hunting one of them. That made me wonder just how hard my new case was going to be. 

 As I was going to bed to get some sleep before my meeting, a question came to mind. Why was Mikael still in New Orleans? He had to know Marcel would be looking for him. Why not flee? Why wouldn't he leave with Hayley and Hope? And then there was the question of why Marcel was even asking me to do this in the first place. 

 I could only hope everything would be explained to me in the morning.