Chapter Three

"Finn." Marcel gave me one of his charming smiles when he answered the door. "You're here earlier than I thought you would be." 

 Did that make me seem too eager? I audibly cleared my throat and replied, "Well, I wanted to get a early start. I read everything you gave me about the Mikaelsons. They're...quite the family. I've never read about anyone like them." 

 "And the scary thing is that they're a real story," Marcel finished for me. 

 I nodded and entered the apartment. "So, it's only us this morning?" 

 "Yep, just the two of us. I want to keep this quiet so the wrong people don't hear about it." He sat down  on the sofa. "That's why I asked you to meet me here instead of going over the whole thing at Rousseau's last night. You can never be sure who's listening in." 

 "Oh. I see. So, do you have enemies hanging around New Orleans?" 

 "Maybe. I wouldn't be too surprised if I did. You know, someone on the Mikaelsons' side who would want to get rid of me." 

 "Like their father?" I suggested. 

 "His kids are gone, Finn. Klaus is the only one left, and don't think Mikael is gonna be going to rescue him anytime soon." 

 "Right. Not his real son. Well, at a time like this, you don't think he would feel a little compassion for him?" I asked. 

 Marcel chuckled. "Oh, you must be joking. I don't think Mikael even has feelings. If he does, I don't know anything about them. Where was he when I disposed of his kids? Nowhere in sight. And now he has the nerve to hide in the shadows and feed on my people." 

 "Your people?" 

 "You don't know? Mikael only drinks vampire blood, which means vampires, my people, have been popping up dead all over the Quarter for the past year. He doesn't too many at one time, and none of them are ever found in the same spot. He's smart." 

 "And...this is the man you want me to hunt down?" I asked him. "Marcel, you know I'm no match for someone like that in combat." 

 "And I'm not saying you have to fight him," Marcel went on. "I just need you to track him, find out where he hides out. Once you've done that, I'll take care of him. But if he does get to you...maybe I shouldn't let you do this by yourself." 

 "No, that's okay," I said quickly. "I'm better at working on my own. I can handle it." 

 He gave me a look that made me realize he was rethinking what he was asking of me, and I understood why. 

 "You can handle this on your own?" he asked. 

 I nodded. "Yes. Just let me handle it on my own. If I find out anything, I will call you straightaway." 

 "Good. That's what I want to hear." He clapped me on the shoulder. "And don't worry about having to deal with anything else. I've made sure you won't have to deal any other clients so you can make this a priority." 

 I gave him a surprised look. I didn't even want to know how he could have possibly managed that. 

 "Thank you," I muttered. 

 "Finn?" 

 I turned around. "Yes?" 

 "Just be careful, okay?" 

 I nodded again. "I will." 

 Since Marcel had apparently driven off any other business I would have had, it seemed I now had an infinite amount of time to go hunt down Mikael. I knew why Marcel had brought the case to me: he needed a private investigator he knew he could trust, and that seemed to be me. I somehow felt important knowing he believed in me enough to ask me to do this, but I knew it was more his need for someone trustworthy that led him to me. 

 I walked past a few abandoned buildings and dark alleyways. I couldn't help thinking as I walked past, Now, there are places for a fugitive to hide out

 And then something else occurred to me: Mikael could be anywhere in the entire city, and I had no clue where I was supposed to start.