08

08

Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.-Katharine Lee Bates

Why am I here? Why am I here?! I mentally yelled at myself as I stared at my own reflection. I've been pampered before because of my family and all the social gatherings that we have, but this is on a completely different level. I felt like a princess or maybe even like a celebrity which of course is overwhelming for me, it just makes me wonder if this is what Lily always have to go through.

"Oh your hair is so beautiful," Chelsea, the hairdresser ran her fingers through my hair after dismantling my messy bun. "So soft and silky, you should not be treating your hair so terribly by tying it up into a bun!"

"And get rid of these awful looking glasses," Jamie, the makeup artist slide my lens off of my face.

"But-" I protested, "My glasses aren't awful looking! I love them and now I can't see!"

"Mr. Kingsley brought you to us, so we have to do a good job. Don't you want to impress him with your natural beauty?!" Jamie placed her hands against her hips and I bit the bottom of my lips.

"I didn't want to be here," I whispered silently but they heard me as they gasped loudly.

"What?! Are you insane woman?! Every girl dreams to get pampered by Mr. Kingsley!" Chelsea started. They were intimidating women, I cowered in my salon chair and gave them an apologetic look. I sat quietly and obediently stayed in my chair while they worked their magic. I turned my head when asked, I closed my eyes when asked, and I swear if they told me not to breathe, I wouldn't.

"You are gorgeous!" Chelsea exclaimed while she clasped her hands together, "I'll be getting your gown for you!"

"I'm coming too!" Jamie was just as excited as she was and then I was left alone.

I stared at my own reflection and sighed. Chelsea and Jamie forced me into a robe because my clothes were a shame to be allowed in their salon. Whatever they did with them, I really wish they didn't throw them away. Being dolled up and pampered isn't something I was use to. It's nice once in awhile to dress up a little but the only time I even need to put an effort into my looks is when we have family social gatherings. The royal Cinderella ball scene isn't for me, I feel like an outcast in those kind of environments.

"What's with the frown?" I heard Aiden's voice from behind me and I jumped. I stared at him from the reflection of the mirror and he was leaning against the wall behind me with his arms folded across his chest.

"It's just-" I paused and stared directly into his eyes from the reflection. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"I think the more appropriate question is why not?" His smile was soft, a smile that I remember from the charity dinner, that soft and kind smile.

I forced my attention away from that smile of his and focused on the question he asked. Why not?...Why not?... Why shouldn't he do this to me? What is the right answer to his question? I thought about it for a moment and nothing came to mind. Why was this one simple question so hard to answer? I searched through Aiden's eyes, hoping that he would give me an answer or at least a piece of his mind but like usual, I got nothing from him. Eventually I tear my eyes away from him and stared at my hands resting on my lap.

"I don't know" I finally muttered out. "I'm just not use to being the center of attention."

"Why not?" He asked again but no matter how many times he asks the question, I have no answer to give him besides I don't know.

"I don't know." I replied. "I don't like it."

"Why not?" He asked again and I jerked my head up to stare at him from the reflection again.