Chapter 5

~Meanwhile in the Overworld~

Steve enters a huge sprawling palace, covered in red wool, gold, lapis, tapestries, and paintings. Two players stand guard in front of spruce double doors. Steve approaches, they block him.

The guard on the right is the one who speaks. "Are you here for official business with the king of Minecraft? If so do you have the invitation or some form of evidence to show that you are to see the king?"

Before Steve can answer the giant doors open and out steps a man with a dark brown beard,  short brown hair, calculating eyes, and a scar over his left cheek. Steve bows before him. The man looks at the guards and gives them a nod of approval, they back off.

"Rise. Come with me, we have much to discuss Steve."

Steve nods his head and follows the king to a well decorated library. The man sits down and gestures for Steve to have a seat as well. Steve opens his mouth and speaks.

"I found another village Notch, completely destroyed. No one left alive, not even the children, the area around it was burned and charred. There were no arrows left behind, so it definitely wasn't Illagers. He's come back I'm afraid."

Notch sighs heavily, concern laden in his voice, "I knew that spell I cast on him would not hold forever. Long enough for me to create a backup plan in case he does become as powerful as when we last fought several centuries ago."

Steve places a hand down on the table, his eyes and face serious. "He is as powerful. Have you noticed the Endermen are becoming more bold and viscous towards players?! Or that spiders are now working in groups of more than ten?!"

"That's not what worries me Steve. He can destroy as much as he wants, and I can create everything once more. There is no limitation to what I can create, but I cannot necessarily destroy my creations outright. I can make them sick and weak, but cannot kill with my powers intentionally. My brother. . .Your brother as well, twin brother in fact was destined for this fate. It was a prophecy set in stone long before you and your brother were even conceived. Father put things in place to ensure that the prophecy would not end in total destruction of the world he put so much effort and care into making."

Notch coughs and gets up, walking over to a shelf in the library. He pulls out an old leather bound book and walks over to Steve. Steve looks at it curiously. "What's that?"

"It's what Father wrote shortly before he died and passed his powers onto me as the heir. He knew how to stop the Apocalypse from happening Steve! The fate of the Overworld is in our hands! If your brother gets ahold of her. . .This world will surely be destroyed!"

Steve blinks a couple of times and asks Notch, "Sh-She?! What's her name?! I may have come across her at some point in my travels!" Notch sighs heavily. "Her true name is Pandora, after the first woman who opened the box given to her by the Greek Gods, unleashing many evils upon the earth, but hope was the last to appear. She is exactly that Steve, she is truly our only hope of keeping your brother from usurping the throne of the Overworld." 

Steve scratches at his beard, intrigued by Notch's story. "I've never heard of this 'Pandora' girl." "That's because she goes by a different name, not even she knows her true name. Steve, names have GREAT power! If her true name was to somehow be leaked to even a zombie, if that zombie told your brother her true name, he could unleash her powers!" 

Steve blinks a couple times."So then. . .Why don't you have her locked up somewhere if you don't want anything to happen to her?" "It's far easier to have her blend in with the others Steve. She does not look all that special. If I kept her locked up then it would only be a matter of time before she would escape and then Heaven knows what would happen to her." "Why are you telling me all of this Notch? You brought me here for a reason, and have yet to tell me what it is. I know this is not about the village I found burned down, so then what?" There is a hint of annoyance in Steve's voice. Notch runs a hand through his hair. "I need you to go to the Nether, and find your brothers castle." Steve is alarmed by this and quickly stands up, causing the chair to topple onto the wooden floor with a clatter. "WH-WHAT?! H-HE NEARLY KILLED ME THE LAST TIME WE MET! AND-AND YOU WANT ME TO GO TO THE NETHER AND SPY ON HIM?! D-DO YOU WANT ME TO DIE OR SOMETHING?!" Notch glares at Steve, shouting loudly. "LISTEN TO ME STEVE!"

Notch takes a deep breath before continuing. "I have reason to believe he has captured Pandora, who goes by the name of Ariadne. He still thinks Ariadne is her real name, at least I hope so. If he tells her what her true name is, her powers will be unleashed! Your job is to go there and make sure that does NOT HAPPEN! Bring her back to the Overworld at ANY and all costs! Don't worry, I will make your journey easier by giving you some of my abilities. I will also give you enchanted items so you can get the mission done faster." "O-Oh" Steve scratches the back of his head nervously, Notch gets up and walks over to Steve, placing his hands on Steve's shoulders.

"I know I'm putting a lot on you right now Steve, if I was capable I would go and get her myself, but I am not as young as I used to be and if I leave the Overworld chaos could easily break out. I still have to rule the kingdom Steve. You are young, full of life, and have a thirst for adventure. I know I chose the right person for this task Steve. Nobody else could or can do it, but you. Now one of the guards will show you to the armory, where you will get your weapons and other materials to rescue Ariadne. Time in the Nether passes faster than it does here in the Overworld. Now go, you have two days to prepare before your journey." 

Steve looks at Notch curiously. "Why two days, why can't I go right now?" Notch sighs once more. "It will take me two days to make sure that portal is good and to get the potions you will need to succeed in your mission." "Oh, okay. Well I promise I will not let you down!" With triumph and courage in his heart Steve walks out of the library and towards a guard who takes him to the armory.