Beautiful Day

Anna opened her eyes slowly, groaning as the morning light hit her. Sitting up, a pain across her bump took her breath away. Composing herself, Anna went downstairs and found Dylan in the kitchen making breakfast. 

"Good morning handsome." 

Dylan looked over at Anna. 

"Good morning Mrs Keogh." 

They shared a gentle kiss. A lot had changed since the day David was arrested and jailed. They had both returned to work, bought a house that had private mooring for the boat, and were now married. It had been a small ceremony surrounded by family and friends. 

Most important, they were truly loving life again. 

Sitting at the table with their breakfast, another pain swept over Anna.

"Um Dylan. We need to go to hospital. My waters have just gone." 

Anna stood up calmly. Dylan ran upstairs, grabbing her notes and the hospital bag. When he got downstairs, he found Anna waiting at the door. They went out to the car and set off for the hospital. 

Arriving at the hospital, Dylan realised he had parked at the ED. 

"It's fine, we can still get to maternity from... Oohhh oouuccchhh." 

Anna doubled over, Dylan rubbed her back and helped her focus on her breathing. Connie appeared. Smiling when she realised that Anna was in labour. 

"Gem, can you grab that wheelchair please? Let's get Anna up to maternity." 

Anna looked at Dylan then Connie as she sat in the wheelchair. 

"We won't make maternity. I need to push..... aaahhhhhh.” 

Dylan, usually calm and in control, froze. Connie smiled. 

"Dylan, they will be fine. Gem let's get them into resus. It's empty just now."

Anna was rushed through and helped onto a bed. Connie was checking her over. Dylan held Anna's hand. Jacob came in to assist. 

"Anna sweetheart, I can see baby's head. On the next contraction give me a big push ok?" 

Anna nodded. Seconds later....

"ooowwwwwwww," Anna groaned as she pushed. 

"Baby's head is out, you're doing great Anna. Next push and baby will be here,” Jacob said. 

Gripping Dylan's hand tightly Anna gave one last big push. Tiny cries filled resus. Both Anna and Dylan crying. 

"You have a beautiful baby boy." Connie cut the cord, wrapped baby up and handed him to Anna. 

Dylan and Anna looked down at their son. "Hello William Michael Keogh." 

Jacob was going to say something when he noticed the look of concern on Connie's face. She looked at Anna. 

"Anna. Did they ever mention the possibility of twins?" 

Anna looked at her confused. "No?" Dylan shook his head then it hit him. He realised sometimes depending on the way they were positioned, one baby could hide the other. "Is, it?" he asked. Connie nodded. 

Jacob ran out and brought Duffy in to help. Handing William to her, she took him over to clean him up and do checks. 

"Anna I need you to push for me. I know you're exhausted but I know you can do it." 

Twins? Anna looked at Dylan who had the biggest smile on his face. 

Anna gave a massive push and once again tiny cries were heard. 

"A beautiful baby girl."

Dylan kissed Anna, both of them in tears. "I love you Anna." She smiled, "I love you too.” 

Connie handed them their daughter. 

"Mummy and Daddy's little surprise. Welcome to the world Sofia Grace Keogh." 

Sofia was taken to be cleaned up. Connie making sure all was OK with Anna. Jacob was assisting with the baby checks. 

"I think we need to go shopping for a few extra items now," Anna giggled. Dylan chuckled. "Yes, another moses basket, double pram, bottles. Well everything," they laughed. 

Duffy and Jacob came over. Duffy handed William to Anna. "William Keogh, 6lb 5oz." Anna smiled, a nice healthy weight. She was a little worried about Sofia considering they didn't know she was there. 

Jacob handed Sofia to Dylan. "Sofia Keogh, 6lb 1oz and perfectly healthy." Connie smiled. "Mum is absolutely fine too," she covered Anna's bottom half over. 

The resus doors opened, they looked over and saw some of their friends standing there. Anna looked at William, then Sofia and spoke:

"You are both surrounded by so much love." 

Anna and Dylan knew that the past was behind them now. No longer having to live in fear.