Chapter Twelve

I am going to kill Mohit Malhotra. I am going to rip his head off and feed it off to the hounds. Exactly, who the hell did he think he was?

In college, in front of the supervisor, when she called us to discuss the theme of the fresher's day party, he was acting like he did not know who I was. When someone said that lets keep VIBGYOR as the theme, and he said all colours are included in it, I couldn't help but say, "No, pink, peach and other colours aren't."

He looked at me and said, "Pink?" Like it was a leech instead of a colour and how dare I suggest something so awful?

Then, when mam told us to come up with something interesting for the next assembly, most of us prefects  were all standing in a group and discussing about various ideas. I suggested lets do a skit, it'll make things more interesting, he shot my idea down completely. Other prefects from other classes, who had no idea, who the fuck I was were really listening to whatever I had to say. They were interested in my ideas and added on to them. Whereas this guy was being a fucking tool!

I did not understand what the fuck was his problem these days. I didn't know why he was suddenly being a total jerk to me by behaving so coldly with me and not talking to me for days.

Maybe someone had deleted all the porn from his phone and it had put him on an edge. He should probably download some...

My head just wanted to come up with all the plausible explanations it could for his erratic behavior. I wasn't the only one who noticed his behavior. Anand even said that maybe Mohit is PMSing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

In tuition, the very same day he insulted me in college, he asked Jai who was sitting next to me to get up and sit somewhere else. Jai wanted me to explain him Physics numericals. Jai didn't listen to Mohit and so Mohit, who was being a complete treat these days, angrily told Jai, "Fuck off, get up from here, she's going to only teach me."

He banged the desk until Jai got up. I raised my eyebrows and glared at him ,trying to transfer all my physical annoyance through the glare. I did not say anything at all because what could I possibly say? I couldn't tell him that 'You are not talking to me' or you're not behaving the way used to, because we weren't supposed to acknowledge the fact that he behaved extra nice with me on occasions!

It was all getting really frustrating. All day in college, he was simply nothing but rude to me. And the moment Eshani, his best friend came, he was a delight!

In tuition, he wanted nobody but him to sit next to me. I could not understand this diabolic behavior. If he did not like being around me, why did he insist on sitting next to me?

I know that bipolar disorder was a serious disease, but taking his recent behavior into consideration, I suspected maybe he was bipolar!

On the other hand there was Purab, who payed so much attention to me. We would banter and the whole class would know. He wouldn't start the day without telling me hi and wouldn't end it without saying bye. He payed so much attention towards me that everyone around me noticed. Every one asked if anything was going on between Purab and I.

But nothing was. And I didn't like him that way. Nor did I think Purab did. I knew the attention he was paying would probably fade away. I saw him often hanging out around the same group of people that Mohit was.I knew flirting probably came naturally to Purab. Still I liked the attention and the flirting. I wasn't very gracious when it came to accepting complements, but it did not mean I did not like them.

Even after I went home, I could not stop thinking about how Mohit was recently behaving. If only he behaved the same way around me as Purab did. I shouldn't entertain such thoughts. I was so confused. I liked him a lot, but I didn't want to. This crush of mine had continued for far too long and it was past time I move on for real. I had so much to study. This year was going to be the building block for it. I couldn't screw up. My parents were counting on me doing well. And here I was thinking about a guy, who could probably care less.

***

A few days later I met up with Kavya and Abhimanyu, my best friend and her boyfriend. Abhimanyu was the only guy I knew for the longest time. I had third wheeled for them all through the summer before junior college had started.

I didn't know what to do with the Mohit situation and I needed some male perspective on it. So I told Abhimanyu about everything right up to his current behavior. I told him that even after days of not talking, he would defend me and calm me down, whenever Myra or Vikram would say something to me.

Abhimanyu just told me one thing, "Send him a good night message, every day for 30 days and abruptly stop. In class, behave like you normally do. See what happens then."

I just took his advice in consideration, I didn't know what exactly to do with it.

I gave Abhimanyu another glance and realized what a fool had I been. I used to think that I liked Abhimanyu, when I never really did. It was the idea of having a crush at thirteen that made me think I did. Sure, I hated it when they started dating, was awfully sad at the time. But looking back, I think it was more due to the fact that my best friend had started dating my crush, rather than the fact that Abhimanyu was dating someone.

What I felt for Mohit was so deeper, I hadn't even felt an inch of it for Abhimanyu. So much so that I started considering the advice that he'd given. I didn't know what I would achieve by doing this.

Some part of me somwhow believed that maybe Mohit had started liking me after he had started noticing me. Maybe somehow messaging him, in this silent way, without saying anything would probably bring us closer. I know I wanted to move on, but it hadn't happened for me so far.I could try this as a last attempt. And so I began typing.