Chapter Five

Mid term vacations were over and all anyone after that was talking about was how Myra and Vikram had got together in Dehradun.

Tanya and I saw him propose. Us and twenty five of our classmates that had gathered around in the train compartment when Vikram took Myra's hand in his and gave a speech about how much he loved talking to her, how much she affected him and how he loved her so much. Vikram who seemed to have all the confidence in the word, yet seemed really vulnerable in that moment. A blind man could see he was in love with her.

His proposal was the most romantic thing that I'd ever seen.Vikram was a somewhat decent guy, when he wasn't taking a dig at others. But even when he made fun of people, he treated them as their friend.

When it came to Myra, I wasn't really sure if she loved him. Vikram was super popular in college and crazy for her, so maybe she said yes to him because of that. It wasn't like she didn't have options lined up, because even I knew about two guys from our class who had proposed to her.

That wasn't the issue I had with Myra. In Dehradun, when we all went to skii near the snow, we all wore a snow suit and sat in our cars.

Her car was right ahead of me, and all the way till the snow point, she and other three girls kept looking at me through the car window and were laughing at me. I was really confused and did not understand why four of them were laughing. Was there something on my face? I really felt self conscious.

When she got down, she came to me and said like this was the funniest thing that she'd ever seen, "Oh Pia, you know you have a black butt shaped patch around your but, it just makes you look like one of those cows," and then she and her friends laughed again. I didn't know what to say to her and walked away.

I had never felt so humiliated in my entire life. She, with blond streaks in her hair, perfect jawline and a hot red snow suit looked beautiful.Whereas I felt like a fat, ugly person in mine. I even told Tanya to look around and tell me if there was something wrong with my snow suit.

Tanya bless her, the good friend she is, told me that not to mind her words and that she only takes digs at me because she wants to come first in class and instead I do.

But I knew that it wasn't true.

***

Regular college had started and so had its activities. There was a poetry competion in our college and I decided to present my own poem. Whereas Mohit, who behaved as if he was good at everything (which he wasn't) recited a poem in a dead tone that began with "If you think, you can, You can, If you think you can't, you can't."

Anjali later mimicked his tone, and we all laughed. I couldn't help and wonder if the poem he picked had something to do with what I told him. Maybe I was daydreaming again.

When it came to discussing the competition, everyone in my tuition discussed about Myra. Everyone, even in other divisions knew her, as she had become popular.She was in the Biology division with me, and so most of my tuition friends knew her from afar.

She had won the poetry competition with some sob story poem, taken from watsapp forwards. I couldn't help but feel jealous about it.

When Mohit too discussed about Myra's poetry, I didn't like it. I didn't like the sound of her name from his lips.I got this eerie feeling that if they ever happened to be surrounded by each other, they'll have a thing going on. And I could not exist in a world in which they knew each other.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait for a long time to find out.

***

A few days later Myra came to me and asked if Dixit Sir taught tuition. I didn't know from where and how she'd got the information that I went to him for tuition since we kept that information pretty tight.

Myra and I had a weird relationship by that point. For most part she behaved nicely with me, until she found something to insult me with. On our return trip from Dehradun, she even had the audacity to ask me if I was feeling well.

She was a mean girl, who played nice. That's why I could never tell her to Fuck off. Come to think of it, I didn't think I could tell anyone Fuck off.

So I told Myra in a very round about way, that I didn't think he took classes any more. I didn't want her anywhere near my tuition. It was my safe zone. It was the only place where I was more than just a nerd. I didn't want her to spoil it. But I guess, we don't all really get what we want.

She decided to directly go to Dixit Sir, and joined our tuition for all the three subjects, i.e Physics, Chemistry and Maths.

And her darling boyfriend, Vikram too decided to join our class with her.
That felt like the beginning of something I wouldn't like, and it turned out that way.

I wasn't the only one who didn't like the fact that the power couple was joining our tuition. Anjali, Sarika and Zeenat did not like her attitude. Mohit made a watsapp group in which we all discussed how we wouldn't want them to join our tuition. Mohit knew Vikram from 9th grade as they were in the same school, but even he wasn't thrilled at the prospect of them joining.

But join, they did. And initially Myra sat alone and read books on wattpad in her free time.Initially, no one talked to her.

So she began courting my friends, and initially they ignored.

Slowly, things changed.