Chapter One

For as long as I can remember, I have had stage fright. Every time, before going on stage, my brain would make me freak out and I’d become scared shitless. Even after I finished repeating the mumbo-jumbo speech or whatever it was that I was supposed to say on stage, my heart would beat erratically for approximately half an hour.

Still, here I was on stage, in a ex-tempo competition, without a rehearsed speech as the topic was given on the spot. I retrieved a scrap from a bowl and read the topic 'The first day of college.'

  I took a minute, thought about my first day of college and the events that followed,  and the first thing that came out of my mouth in front of the entire 12th grade class was, "The first day of college introduced me to the world of shit-holes."

To explain you my bold, gutsy move, I'd have to explain everything right from the start of my first day of junior college.

One and a half years ago: First day of junior college:

   "We are going to be college kids! Us weirdos! And I always thought college kids were so grown up!" Tanya said on the other end of the phone.

  "Exactly. I feel like a little kid about to walk into a meeting full of grown ups,"

   "Yeah. God knows how we'll study everything. Everyone already says science stream is tough and we have added to our plates by agreeing to do Math, too. I just hope the boys are hot to make up for that much studying,"

   "Tannu, your mind really goes on one track sometimes. Besides, I know you're fretting about everything, but later you'll ace it all,"

    "Says the girl who tops in her school. But seriously, you have to focus on guys now. You've lived like a nun in that convent of yours for so long. You should now make up, making out for all that lost time,"

    "Tanya, you’re gross and besides, my school wasn't a convent, it just was a girls school!" I said defensively.

    "po-tay-to, po-tah-to, Pia"

     "Whatever!"

     We quarreled a bit more and after deciding to meet up in college, I put my phone down.Our mothers were friends and that’s how we knew each other. Tanya has been my friend since we were seven  and we have grown up quarrelling. But at the same time, she was a great pal. We had been in different schools up until now and a lot of kids from my school were also going to be in St Pauls, but I wasn't close with any of them. My experience at making new friends really sucked and having Tanya just comforted me.

  I decided that everything was going to be perfect today. I had gotten in my dream college. And god, I couldn't wait for everything to start.

      I knew that the stakes at St Pauls were going to be much higher than they were in my school. There were going to toppers from every school. Being the first in class at St Paul's, the best junior college in Pune, was going to be  difficult. But I had to focus. The next two years would decide my future. I couldn't do anything that would steer away from my path.

     I had decided I would not let guys distract me. I had seen my friends in relationships and had noticed how pathetic they would act. Besides, people made stupid decisions when they were in love, and I knew I was better than that.  

    Also, when it came to guys, I was like Raj from The Big Bang Theory -- the one who had selective mutism near the opposite gender. Even though it wasn't as bad as his, having studied in a girls school and never having had any experience in my 9th and 10th grade. I never went for any extra tuitions like others so I almost never had contact with guys, unless it was a friend's boyfriend and I was the designated third wheel.

     Still, there was this tiny, irrational part of my brain that was fueled by Wattpad romance novels and Bollywood movies. Though,  maybe if given enough time, some guy would take the time to get to know me. Even Naina in Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani was a nerd, but Bunny had loved her and left everything for her anyway. And someday a Bunny would love me, too. Someday the popular kids would know me as a fun-loving girl, rather than some nerd.

                          ****